Buyer Fraud

Buyer acknowledged receipt of item through open Ebay communicaiton (recorded in Ebay system emails);

Buyer claims item not as described.  Happy to accept that Buyer was not happy, and told them to return it for a 100% refund (desite the fact I know beyond doubt the item is worth 10 times what the Buyer paid for it - the item was listed dirt cheap, and no one else bid).

Buyer agreed in open communication to return it (again as recorded on Ebay email system)

Time passes, no return.

Buyer then claims a refund via PayPal, and gets it.

Buyer has both the item (worth much more than he paid for it), plus his money back.

Reported the Buyer to Ebay days ago - no response.

Also appealed the decision many days ago - again no response.

Who protects the Seller - who acknowledges the Seller?

The evidence trail is inside Ebay open communication, yet nothing is happening.  Worse, there is no communication back to Seller from Ebay despite two approaches by different channels.

I will leave negative feedback for buyer in the final minutes left to leave it.  I have 100% Ebay feedback for over 10 years!  I have never in this time left negative feedback, nor had this problem arise.  I am only grateful the item sold for only $20!!!!!  I will never trust selling expensive items on Ebay.

Any advice on next steps? 

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Buyer Fraud

To start with you can NOT leave neg feedback for the buyer as this option was removed some time ago.

If you leave a false +ive the buyer can get it removed and you cop a policy violation slap.

Call paypal and ask WHY they were not told to return the item BEFORE being refunded and if they do not return your money back to your account you will take it further with the Ombudsman.

Fight it all you can to stop these blasted buyers from scamming sellers and one can assume this buyer has done it all before and knows how to play the system.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Buyer Fraud

Firstly sellers haven't been able to leave negs for a long time.

ebay introduced the strike system so sellers issue strikes instead.

Secondly and more importantly, if buyer opened a PayPal case for INAD, they would be required to return the item to you to the address PayPal specify before they get a refund? What happened there?

image host
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Buyer Fraud

Welcome to post November 1st 😞

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Buyer Fraud

This is just the start!
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Buyer Fraud

Well that explains why I am in the process of closing my account - sold to buyer , would not return item yet Paypal still gave him his money back. Appeal goes nowhere. Looked at legal side and seems only a civil matter so I would have to pursue through courts personally which the buyer has told me in reply that is too expensive so he is happy as he has item plus his money.

No recourse at all for seller.

Never risking selling anything on EBay again.

Not so much EBay fault but Paypal but not risking anymore of these hassles.

Latest reply from buyer -

Any further emails will be reported to eBay as this matter has been resolved. It is a done deal - if you don't like their decision you have two choices; Sue them or stop selling. Simple!

Yeah , great.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Buyer Fraud

You need to put something as a follow up in the feedback you left this buyer....

something along the lines of "refunded and kept item" .... you can include the ID also, then other sellers can see what's happened.Check out my neg and see the follow up there.  

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Buyer Fraud

Did you actually "phoned" PayPal and advise that the item has not been returned to you and that you have been scammed by the buyer???

They are not suppose to refund until the item is received posted back to you via registered/signed/trackable mail with proof of delivery/receipt.  These are their own rules.

They will also be certainly interested in the emails you received from this scammer.  It is also within PayPal's powers to recoup the money refunded to the buyer as it certainly looks like fraud on their part.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Buyer Fraud

Don't forget about the defects (and also no resolution by you). I would talk to paypal and contact the ombudsman if they don't help.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply