Buyer claiming missing parts, but everything is there.

Hello,

I am looking for some advice please. I have a buyer that has opened a missing parts claim on an auction for a used item.

He is claiming the flash is missing off a DSLR camera I sold marked BODY ONLY. There were no photos of a flash, I did not say the flash was included. The flash is an extra which I never owned. He is claiming because the camera was originally sold by the manufacturer with the flash in a package it is part of the body and claims he wants his money back. I did everything in my ad to show every part that was included and took photos of everything.

I am not a business just a personal seller, selling my personal posessions. I have spent the money on household bills/food, My paypal account is now overdrawn.

Will eBay make me refund him even though there is no missing items and this is clearly a case of the buyer not reading the description properly or a change of mind?

Thank you

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You can escalate it to a claim and state the photos and the list of items received with this purchase are in the listing and no where does it say or show the part they claim is missing was even shown or mentioned in the listing.

Make sure sany comms is done via the dispute

Refuse the refund and fight it as much as you can.

And ebay do decide in the end once it is escalated.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

As there is photos and and itemised description of what will be received the buyer has done the wrong thing

Did they open a dispute via paypal for item not as described rather than the ebay dispute?

Reply to them (via the dispute) saying the description and photos state exactly what is being sold.

If they did the dispute via paypal call paypal and tell them there was no mention of the so called missing part.

But to be honest if it was done by paypal then they generally side with the buyer and once escalated they will tell the buyer to return for a refund.

If the dispute was done via ebay then you have a better chance of winning and should call ebay as they buyer has got what was advertised.

Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

Thanks for your quick reply,

They have done it through eBay. They have not escalated the claim as yet.

I have called eBay and they told me my choices (refund or refuse) and that they cannot side with the buyer or the seller and were not much help at all.

Should I call them again if/when the buyer escalates the claim?

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

You can escalate it to a claim and state the photos and the list of items received with this purchase are in the listing and no where does it say or show the part they claim is missing was even shown or mentioned in the listing.

Make sure sany comms is done via the dispute

Refuse the refund and fight it as much as you can.

And ebay do decide in the end once it is escalated.

Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

If the item is the Olympus Pen-LIte, that camera comes with no integral flash, just a mount for an external flash.

Some reviews state that the external flash is supplied - but it's not part of the body, it's a clip-on extra. 

You haven't listed the flash in your listing; the buyer has made the assumption that's it's included, despite it not being listed in the item description of the photos. Hardly your fault...

Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

Thank you for all your replies. I will keep fighting it.

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

Thank you for confirming that for me for me. At least I know I am not crazy.

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

If a buyer asks ebay to step in it is almost 100% guaranteed that they will rule in favour of the buyer, no matter what you say or what evidence you offer.   And you will get a defect if ebay has to step in.

You can avoid the defect by refunding of your own accord.

Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

You've even itemised what is included in the sale. As there is no mention of a flash there is no way a buyer could expect one. The fact you've itemised the contents should be be grounds for eBay to find in your favour.

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

Why will I get a defect on my name - I have done nothing wrong.

The buyer did not read the description and is trying to make me out to be the dishonest one. How is it fair that eBay will rule in favour of the buyer and defect me as well???

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply