Buyer claiming missing parts, but everything is there.

Hello,

I am looking for some advice please. I have a buyer that has opened a missing parts claim on an auction for a used item.

He is claiming the flash is missing off a DSLR camera I sold marked BODY ONLY. There were no photos of a flash, I did not say the flash was included. The flash is an extra which I never owned. He is claiming because the camera was originally sold by the manufacturer with the flash in a package it is part of the body and claims he wants his money back. I did everything in my ad to show every part that was included and took photos of everything.

I am not a business just a personal seller, selling my personal posessions. I have spent the money on household bills/food, My paypal account is now overdrawn.

Will eBay make me refund him even though there is no missing items and this is clearly a case of the buyer not reading the description properly or a change of mind?

Thank you

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

The defect for the scenario that Lyndal describes would be because it is a case that is not resolved by the seller.

ie you did not voluntarily refund, ebay had to force you to do it.

This is a risk if ebay are asked to step in by either you or the buyer, so be careful going this route.

I think you are better off on the phone with them trying to convince a CSR (or manager) that what you have done is correct and the buyer is at fault for not correctly reading your description.

If they will agree with you they may just close the case in your favour while you are on the phone.

If you (or the buyer) escalate the case there is a high risk they will simply close in favour of the buyer without reference to any of the facts you presented.

Message 11 of 27
Latest reply

@clarry100 wrote:

I think you are better off on the phone with them trying to convince a CSR (or manager) that what you have done is correct and the buyer is at fault for not correctly reading your description.

If they will agree with you they may just close the case in your favour while you are on the phone.

If you (or the buyer) escalate the case there is a high risk they will simply close in favour of the buyer without reference to any of the facts you presented.

Agree with this - definitely don't chance an escalation and an automated decision being made. 

I have found the most success with using the 'request call back' option (they usually phone back straight away, but you can be put on hold for a little while before getting to speak to a rep).

If the first rep doesn't understand that the buyer is claiming 'missing pieces' on an item that was never included in the package , ask to speak to a supervisor - get the rep to look at the listing, as they will be able to see the contents that were listed as included, and don't give up until you speak to someone that understands the situation properly, and then ask them to send you the information they have provided to you in an email so that you have verfiable information to refer to in the future (eg if they mention they've made notes on the case supporting your side, any advice they provide about what to do if the buyer escalates / leaves a neg). 

Message 12 of 27
Latest reply

Thanks again. I decided to email them instead of calling because the last time I phoned and I ended up in tears Smiley Embarassed

Message 13 of 27
Latest reply

Emailing ebay about something like this is about as much good as a chocolate fireguard. Just use the call back option and state your case clearly and positively, there is every chance ebay will find in your favour IF you do it over the phone.

Surely the prospect of losing money is enough to overcome your dislike of using direct contact.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 14 of 27
Latest reply

Thanks, I phoned them this morning. The buyer escalated overnight.

eBay said they will investigate whether the flash is part of the camera body as that seems to be the crux of what the buyer is claiming. They will take my information under advisement and make a decision within 48 hours. Smiley Indifferent

Message 15 of 27
Latest reply

I wish you all the luck in the world but now that the buyer has escalated it is almost a given that the dispute will go in their favour, no matter what you were told on the phone.  The trick was to get in before the dispute was handed over to ebay.

Message 16 of 27
Latest reply

Yes I fear now that Lyndal may be 100% right.

You definitely need to be on the front foot with these things.

Message 17 of 27
Latest reply

How would eBay know if the flash is part of the camera body? Sadly, I also think Lyndal is correct. It's been escalated, which is almost a 100% guarantee that they'll find in the buyers favour, regardless of what evidence you have. In fact, I'm surprised it didn't close in their favour the instant they escalated as that's usually what happens.

It doesn't matter who escalates, it's usually an instant close in the buyers favour. It also means that there is a reasonably high chance that eBay will refund them without them having to return the camera. Be very careful of that happening as it's a common thing to happen. It's one of the many things that are making sellers really angry. Not only do they lose the money, they lose the item as well. EBay has no right to tell a buyer that they can keep the item after a refund, but it doesn't stop them allowing it to happen.

Message 18 of 27
Latest reply

I did call them on the 26/10 before the buyer escalated and I also emailed them yesterday 27/10. They told me it was my choice, they couldnt take sides and that I just had to wait until the buyer escalated it.

Message 19 of 27
Latest reply

@auction.assist wrote:

Thanks, I phoned them this morning. The buyer escalated overnight.

eBay said they will investigate whether the flash is part of the camera body as that seems to be the crux of what the buyer is claiming. They will take my information under advisement and make a decision within 48 hours. Smiley Indifferent

A very quick google search shows the flash was NOT part of the body and was not originally sold with the camera. If ebay sides with the buyer it would be very unfair. Unfortunatly ebay siding with the buyer is the most likely scenario based on their previous responses to similar cases.  Please keep us informed as to the outcome.

Message 20 of 27
Latest reply