Buyer claiming they have paid

Looking for some advice.

I've been selling off and on for the last few years and I've been lucky enough not to come across someone who hasn't paid.

Last Thursday one of my auction ends and I get notification that night that the buyer will pay via direct deposit.

Saturday I send a polite message to get confimation if they have paid and if not when.

No response
Tuesday I message again to touch base as I didn't get a response. This time I mention that if I don't get a response within 24 hours I will need to open a dispute as I can only assume there is no intention to pay. Once again all polite and not in a demanding way.

No response

Next day I open a dispute and within a few hours I get a message to say that they have paid and they want me to send out the item asap.

I start to think that maybe I missed the deposit into my account or that eBay has my details incorrect (it's been a while since someone opted for direct deposit). No, no money and details are correct.

I write back to ask if they can confirm what bank details they used and if they could send proof of payment. I also mention that I can't send they item until the money is in my account.

As of now I still haven't received a reply.

How should I handle this? Write back and give them another 24 hours to reply and let them know if I get no response I will sell to the next highest bidder?

If they don't pay can they still give me a negative rating? To be honest I don't really care about that as I don't intend to sell much more but it's just frustrating I haven't done anything wrong.

Oh, and the buyer only joined this month and has one rating.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If they are not responding to your messages, chances are they can not provide the details to confirm that payment has been made. If they are a newbie, sometimes they think that going through checkout is making payment and that eBay will somehow debit their bank account, but I've also had several members in the past try to string me along with claims that payment has been made via bank deposit when, it fact, it never was.

All you can really do is explain the situation and give a deadline, which you already have, so I would close the UPI at the first opportunity (they should not be able to leave feedback after the case is closed, but if they do, you can request that eBay remove, plus any associated defects). 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Take an unpiad claim out, and then cancel asap.  ebay will notify you if they do pay by DP. dont offer to the next bidder its a fraud.

start the auction agsin adn note relisted due to non payer, If ihe does pay make sure it has tracking

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

If you opened the Unpaid Item case yesterday there's not much more you can do at the moment. Wait the 4 days until you can close it and then you can relist or make a second chance offer. If the buyer pays during this time you can mark it as Paid and post the item. Once the case is closed the buyer cannot leave feedback. If they leave feedback without paying contact eBay and ask for it to be removed.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

If they are not responding to your messages, chances are they can not provide the details to confirm that payment has been made. If they are a newbie, sometimes they think that going through checkout is making payment and that eBay will somehow debit their bank account, but I've also had several members in the past try to string me along with claims that payment has been made via bank deposit when, it fact, it never was.

All you can really do is explain the situation and give a deadline, which you already have, so I would close the UPI at the first opportunity (they should not be able to leave feedback after the case is closed, but if they do, you can request that eBay remove, plus any associated defects). 

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

@lozyginns wrote:

Take an unpiad claim out, and then cancel asap.  ebay will notify you if they do pay by DP. dont offer to the next bidder its a fraud.

start the auction agsin adn note relisted due to non payer, If ihe does pay make sure it has tracking

EBay don't notify you when someone pays via direct deposit. All you get is notification that they've been through checkout. It's up to the seller to keep checking their bank account to see when the payment arrives.

Why would offering to the next highest bidder be fraud? Offering a second chance offer is both legitimate and legal. The seller has to wait until the dispute is closed though.

As for relisting and saying it's relisted due to a non payer, I find that to be particularly tacky. I won't buy from sellers who put that in their listing because it comes across (to me) as being aggressive. Especially when they highlight it with colours and uppercase.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

Second chance offer, when I tried this option is a joke, all it does is make you look like a shill bidder, shill bidding is illeagle and you will be caught, and if it worked which it doesn't it puts the item at the next bid price lower at buy it now, seriously, would you buy it? f@#$#d if I would! and neither would any one else in my experiance,  Best off just restarting the auction at the original price! 

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

The buyer hasn't paid.

When my sister and I used to sell a decade ago, we constantly had buyers write to her to say they had deposited into the account 'yesterday' (this was in the days before paypal).

My sister used to work in a bank so they couldn't put one over her, she would just write back and say it isn't showing up, you better inform your bank and find out what they did with the money. A couple of days later, they would usually write back and say-oh we have paid now. Most times they had, but what it amounts to is the first messages were downright lies and they were trying to fob us off and give themselves more time.

We had one customer carry on that way for a month, but he eventually paid-the whole $2.Smiley Tongue

But no way would we allow that to happen these days. They would have one week and that would be it, there would be an unpaid item dispute, end of story, no matter what they said.

If I were you, I would not bother writing back, you have done that enough.

If you put in a dispute and win, then I don't think they can give you feedback (or if they do, you can have it removed), but if you just let things go and don't bother, then yes, they could give you bad feedback. You want your selling fees back and you want to block them from feedback, so open a dispute.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

I'm not sure you understand how Second Chance Offer works, I have used it plenty of times and most times the underbidder does take up the offer.  It offers the item to the underbidder at the amount they had bid to before the final bid.  So if the winning bidder had outbid them with a bid of say $10 and the increments were 50c, the underbidder would receive an offer for $9.50.  Seller makes a sale at almost the same as the original selling price, underbidder wins the item at a figure they had been prepared to pay anyway (or they wouldn't have bid to that amount).  The BN price doesn't come into it at all because it disappears as soon as a bid is placed.

Like sheepie said, though, it is best to wait until the UID is finalised first, though, in case the winning bidder does in fact end up paying.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

When a buyer does that to me  I ask them if they would kindly go to their account and see if the funds have been returned. Nines times out of 10 they just put in the wrong number somewhere. If I dont get a reply I ring them or send an email to their personal email telling them I have sent them messages through ebay . I dont go into much in the personal email as you need the ebay emails for records of communication...

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

I've had a number of buyers claim payment by EFT on eBay and payment not received. The problems have always been a mix of the buyer not sending payment to the correct account or the buyer trying it on to get a freebie.

AN unpaid item case opened and asking for proof of payment to the nominated account as you have done resolves these issues promptly and then if they are dodgy reporting to eBay and blocking is our standard protocol.

It's actually rare this happens but you can usually pick them a mile off as they will have a user name such as Holden_Commodore_Chick or similar.

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply