Buyer paid but has not picked up item

sarmal77
Community Member
I would like some advice.
I had a listing end on 7 January for pick up only. My rules stated contact is to occur within 2 days, and pick up is to occur within 7 days of auction finishing.
I sent invoice after auction ended and sent message requesting they contact regarding day and time to pick up.
Didn't hear back so on day 3 I sent message advising if i didn't hear by midday the following day, i would presume she didnt want it and relist. Within a short time, I received notification that she paid me via paypal and i finally got a message saying they would be here on Sunday evening (13th).
Sunday came and went and they didn't show and I didn't hear back.
I messaged on Monday and finally heard back later asking me to call to organise a pick up time. I have called repeatedly over the last few days, left voice messages and ebay messages. I still have not heard back.
I understand if they had not paid, I can mark them as unpaid and relist, but as they have paid, I am really unsure what I should do.
I have made multiple attempts to contact, with no success and I just want the item picked up. But as I have their money, what action should I take?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

How much money are we talking about?  And where does the buyer live?  There are many bushfires burning around the east coast , could they have effect on this buyer?  Even if the area where he lives is not under threat, people who are members of CFA have been sent to fight elsewhere.

Have you tried to pull there details and call them? 

Unless it is in your way, or you are moving etc., I would just leave it for a while.  Then in a week or 2 you can give them final notice in writing (eBay message) telling them that if they do not collect it by such and such a date you will dispose of it, and if you do not hear then you can re-list, and once sold you can refund the original payment via the PP "refund" link in your PP account.  If the item sells for less you can keep the difference.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: โ€œThose Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocitiesโ€ .
Message 2 of 37
Latest reply

sarmal77
Community Member

Thanks for your advice.

the item cost was $30. They are listed as living in Swan Hill which is approx 7 hours away from me. Not sure of the fire situation there but as i have occasionally received a message from them, i have presumed they have contact. I have pulled their contact details and called and left messages. Number was different to what was provided by ebay message - I have left messages on both.

i think I will leave it another week and go from there. It's just frustrating, that's all.

Message 3 of 37
Latest reply

If they live 7 hours away that is a long way To drive and pick up.  It must be worth it to drive 7hrs to pick up.  Maybe they have changed their mind and can't be bothered contacting you (even if they have paid).  I would give it one more week then send final message saying you will be refunding them and resisting item.

cathy

Message 4 of 37
Latest reply

Ok... firstly, you do not want to accept paypal for *pick-up-only* items. As a seller, you wont be covered if they pick up the item, then turn around and open an item not received claim. You cant proove postage by an paypal approved method. So, with Pick-Up-Only items, its cash on the day.

Secondly, you cant resell an item that has already been paid for by someone else.
You can refund via paypal, send a mutual cancellation of the sale, wait 7 days (i really dont think the buyer will respond anyway, buy the sounds of things) Ebay will credit you back your final value Fees, THEN you can relist for sale.

Thirdly.... you could ask buyer to pay for postage and you post the item by trackable methods as listed in paypal.

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 5 of 37
Latest reply

Almost jane. There is no buyer or seller protection with Paypal for pickup only items. So the buyer can't claim INR (or SNAD). The risk, however, is if they fund it with a credit card they may be able to do a chargeback through their bank at a later date.

Message 6 of 37
Latest reply

As it is a pickup item, it doesnโ€™t qualify for either Buyer or Seller protection.

Simply email the buyer advising then they have 7 days to make arranges too, and actually pick the item up, and if they donโ€™t, you will cancel the contract and relisted the item.

Then if you cancel the contract, refund the buyer and place them on your Blocked Bidders List and report them as a Non Paying Buyer.

Finally and for completeness sake, when giving feedback, avoid the temptation to leave a false positive โ€“ that is positive feedback with negative comment.  Instead, as you cannot leave negative feedback for buyers,   leave no feedback at all.

Message 7 of 37
Latest reply

sarmal77
Community Member

Thank you all. 

After dreading all your advice, am thinking I will senmen ebay message and text message advising if no pick up in 7 days, I will refund the money and therefore cancel the transaction with them. Then relist. Hopefully next time it's bought by someone who actually wants it! I wouldn't care so much if they changed, their mind, the think that's annoying is no contact at all.

i will not leave feedback, as I've noticed there is no ability to leave negative for a buyer. Shame, but not much I can do 

๐Ÿ™‚

Message 8 of 37
Latest reply

Oh well I'd give you a different perspective. I'd message them and say that they have 7 days to collect it, or you're putting it out on the nature strip, or donating it to charity. I wouldn't stuff around for $30. But that's just me, Mrs. Nasty - lol.

Message 9 of 37
Latest reply

Though I agree with the sentiment, I think cooler heads must prevail.

Though the buyer has title, the seller is still at risk until it has been delivered, with for pickup only items, the place of delivery being the place as provided in the listing.  Therefore if the seller puts it on the footpath and someone takes it, the buyer has the right to pursue a claim against the seller.

As such the seller has two options. 

Take the necessary steps to have the contract rendered void, at which time title reverts to the seller who is then free to relist it.  Or, they can hold onto it until it is deemed abandoned, at which time the seller would be within their rights to dispose of it any way they see fit.

Message 10 of 37
Latest reply