Buyer returns a piece of paper instead of the actual item purchased

I sold a pair of Yonex Badminton shoes to a buyer in India. He wanted to return saying the it is too tight although I sent the correct size he ordered. He said he would pay return postage. Then he said he was sending return back via DHL and made a claimfor full refund in eBay immediatley with the reason  the item didn't match the descriptio after he got DHL shipping number. However, there is a very thin envelope with paper inside instead of a pair of shoes when DHL tried to deliver it to us. We knew it is not shoes inside and refused to accpet the envelope and notified eBay immediately. However, eBay still made a decision in favour of buyer and issued a refund to the buyer.

What can we do if a buyer returns a peice of paper or any rubbish instead of the item he bought and claims that the item is returned?

Message 1 of 49
Latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

cq_tech
Community Member
It's probably a pity that you didn't accept the DHL delivery. The DHL consignment note would have had the weight and type of object written on it so I'd be demanding that ebay request a copy of the con note from the scamming buyer so they can see for themselves that what was sent could not possibly have been a pair of shoes, but only a letter.

I they refuse, lodge written complaints with the ACCC, the FOS, The Dept of Fair Trading, and given the simplicity and low cost of doing so, you might even consider consulting the Clerk of the Court at your nearest courthouse and taking out a summons against ebay as well.
Message 2 of 49
Latest reply

Thanks cq_tech.

Originally we thought eBay would take the claim seriously and asked us for more information because we talked with someone at claim department and also sent an email to customer service about the problem. We did take photos and we could send them to eBay. Or they could ask DHL to find out it is a ducument or merchandise.

As a small business, we do not want to go to legal activities. It maight cost us too much compared to AUD 178.99 for a pair of shoes and shipping fee.

The content on envelope is "DOX". I think it means "Document".  The weight written down is 0.50 kg.

Message 3 of 49
Latest reply

Thats outrageous. He has clearly used ebays gaping flaw that ANY tracking number "proves" a return.

eBay is out of control. You really must be able to find some person in eBay who can rise above this brain-hurting logic.

Message 4 of 49
Latest reply

I think eBay's logic has wandered so far of the rails that it needs an expose documentary ala Michael Moore style. It is seriously out of balance and completely unfair

Message 5 of 49
Latest reply

I am terribly sorry that this has happened to you. This is going to happen to more and more good sellers and will cause us a lot of pain and grief.

We have only had the defect return system since November here in Australia - but if you read the Ebay seller boards in the US and UK - who have had the defect return in place for longer, this is happening all the time. From what I can make out from what the UK and the US seller boards say - Ebay simply doesn't care.

I really feel for the unfairness of what has happened to you - and I believe that it is unlikley to be corrected for you by Ebay. But I hope it is fixed for you.

Pop on over to the UK and US seller boards and you might get some hints of how to deal with this particular situation.
Message 6 of 49
Latest reply

before  you jump to conclutions you have the photo of the parcel just get the package back and look and read inside it could give you an answere why the shoes are not in there  i mean is the parcel from the shoe man in india or someone else   but if cost you nothing to look inside and then and only then you might have a complaint to ebay

Message 7 of 49
Latest reply

calibresports

I feel your pain, this is exactly why I no longer sell internationally. Its more trouble than what its worth.

Message 8 of 49
Latest reply

Yes, the parcel from the guy who wants to return shoes to me. When the fist time DHL delivery arrived, there is a name and address of sender on the sticker attached on envelope. When the delivery arrived the second time by the same DHL driver, he told me the office asked him to deliver again. But another sticker without sender's name is attached on the top of the first one. But the Waybill number is the same.

You can see the parcel is so thin from the photo.

Message 9 of 49
Latest reply

This is terrible thing that can now happen with 100% money back guarantee, and I'm sorry this has happened to you.

I have another question.

Is it possible to press charges within Australia, if a buyer returns an empty box,or paper, and the money has been refunded for the item

Isn't that "theft by deception"?

I know with international law, that pressing chargers would be nearly impossible, but I am sure you could within Australia.  I just don't know how in depth it would be for different states?  

Message 10 of 49
Latest reply