Buyer says item I sold is a fake and wants a refund

I recently sold an Omega watch case and band (no dial, movement or hands) a few weeks ago to an overseas buyer. Buyer paid through PayPal, and I sent it of registered post, all ok so far. The buyer has sent me an eBay message this morning saying  that what I sent was clearly a fake item and that they want a refund or they will open a case.

The problem is that what I sold isn't fake, it's an original item. I'm an Omega watch collector and I know it's an original item. I said that I would need to have the watch returned to me in exactly the same condition as how it was sent, before I issued a refund.

My question is, is there a type of escrow, or independent service that I can have the watch case sent to to verify that a). It's in the same condition as in the original listing b). it's the same watch case that I sent, and the buyer just sends me something else. Can I get it sent to PayPal for them to decide?

I've read stories of buyers asking for an item to be returned, and having something else sent instead, or the item is damaged. But because the buyer sent the item with tracking, PayPal issued them with a refund.

The item I sold is worth hundreds of dollars, so if I have to give a refund, I at least want it back in the same condition.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

If they open a paypal case they will be told to return to get the refund or they would have to supply proof that it is a fake.

If they are from OS then it may cost them more than it is worth to return the item.

If they do return it and the item is NOT in the condition it was sent and if they went via the dispute then call paypal and tell them the item is not in the condition it was sent and why and they should give you the money back.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

The onus is on the buyer to prove the item is fake in a Paypal dispute. How they must do this is get it certified as such by an approved retailer/dealer/distributor or manufacturer and it must be signed off by them on a stat dec or similar as a non genuine  product,  which surprisingly a lot of the manufacturers arent even willing to do. Furthermore was the item new or 2nd hand if new and you brought of an authorised supplier they have no case provided you can supply details. Although I would be wary as you may be dealing with a scammer if the item is genuine and they are claiming it is fake ie have heard stories of buyers replacing genuine items with fakes and is very hard to prove your end.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

This is a bit more reassuring. There are fakes of this particular watch being made, but they aren't of the same quality and I doubt they would go to the trouble of having the correct hall marks on the watch case. My item sold for about $550, to me it's a lot of money and I don't want to loose either the money or the item.

I would think an Omega dealer would be able to tell if it's genuine or not. I bought the item about 3 or 4 years ago from a watch dealer in Switzerland. It was an unused watch case from the 80's, but I didn't get a COA with it.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply