Buyer trying to force pickup of ebay paypal paid for sale

With all manner of threats demands, short fuse, short timetable for messaging etc.

How should I go about cancelling refunding and blocking said buyer?

In a manner that cant leave a neagtive feedback or comment or ratings.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

There is no way you can prevent them leaving feedback as they have paid for the item.  Winning an Unpaid Item dispute and issuing a strike on their account is the only way you can prevent them leaving feedback.

Was the item advertised as a pick up item?   If it was then you have to accept paypal if that is the way the buyer wants to pay.

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

If you don't offer pick up, don't let a buyer force you to.

If the buyer has paid with postage I would message the buyer asking if they want a refund or the item sent via express as you don't offer pick up as shown in the listing. Then if you post the item, make it signed for registered, express mail.

image host
Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

The last few of your completed listings I looked at show your store address, so it could be assumed that pickup is available.

As Lyndal said the buyer is perfectly within their rights to pay by Paypal, but if your concerned about them then ask for some ID like a drivers licence before handing over the goods and get a signed receipt from them.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

I think OP isn't to happy that the buyer paid with PayPal for a pickup and perhaps wanted cash on pickup?

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

@didawaywith wrote:

I think OP isn't to happy that the buyer paid with PayPal for a pickup and perhaps wanted cash on pickup?

I suspect that's the case dida, but they can't refuse Paypal anyway. Sounds like it's going to be a problem sale unless some bridge-building is carried out.............................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Well yes, I am not too happy with paypal payment and then wanting to pick it up.

There is no pickup with paypal. The buyer has a higher feedback then we do so should know that.

Coming into the shop and paying for their ebay purchase would have worked good enough.

But as it turns out the buyer was trying to use an ebay discount which as it turned out didnt

work for him anyway.

We get a lot of attempted frauds(and been stung badly in the past and defended many successfully) with credit card payment attempts etc and have had 2 paypal fraud cases, we won both, but it leaves u more careful.

Only protection with ebay paypal is if u send via registered signature delivery.

Anything else puts u at risk of losing your money and your product.

The threats of abuse n department of fair trading and police etc also is a bit much

as is the supposed phone calls to paypal and that I had already drawn down his payment..which I still have not.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

PayPal now offers protection on pick up items for the buyer and of course you are still at risk of chargebacks.

If you are prepared for the buyer to pick up then I would message the buyer and ask if it is ok for you to refund the payment and they pay cash on pick up as you have been burned by unauthorised use of cards through PayPal before.

If they insist on leaving the PayPal payment stand, get licence number and details on pick up and also the car rego.

This can be used if  a chargeback is instigated.

image host
Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

@toysandthings12 wrote:

Well yes, I am not too happy with paypal payment and then wanting to pick it up.

There is no pickup with paypal. The buyer has a higher feedback then we do so should know that.

Coming into the shop and paying for their ebay purchase would have worked good enough.

But as it turns out the buyer was trying to use an ebay discount which as it turned out didnt

work for him anyway.

We get a lot of attempted frauds(and been stung badly in the past and defended many successfully) with credit card payment attempts etc and have had 2 paypal fraud cases, we won both, but it leaves u more careful.

Only protection with ebay paypal is if u send via registered signature delivery.

Anything else puts u at risk of losing your money and your product.

The threats of abuse n department of fair trading and police etc also is a bit much

as is the supposed phone calls to paypal and that I had already drawn down his payment..which I still have not.

You are in the wrong re your stated understanding of paypal payments and pick up.

You mislead buyers by headlining your store address in your listings.

Encouraging off eBay sales to get around paypals pick up policies is very poor practice.

If you are worried about scammers, minimise some of your risks by amending your listings accordingly.  Depending on the contents of the messages to your buyer you may well be flirting with a risk of eBay policy violations if the buyer reports you.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

I have done the only thing I can do and that is refund the paypal payment.

Sending a message as such and to pay in store if still wishing to pickup.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply