Buyer trying to scam me?

I sold an item via auction, and I chose the payment method to be paypal and delivery via mail. Now the buyer is asking me if they can pay cash in person, but they have already sent me the money via paypal. This all seems fishy! What do I do?

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Buyer trying to scam me?

Are they near you whereby they could pick it up? If they are and you are happy for them to pick up, you can refund their payment. Once they've collected it you can then mark it as paid and posted. Unfortunately it will mean you pay fees on the postage component but you can ring eBay and tell them buyer picked up and paid cash so you'd like the fee on the postage refunded.

It's actually better if the buyer pays in cash because it means they can't turn around and open a dispute for anything down the track. It's much safer for you.

If they aren't near you then tell them it will be posted.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Buyer trying to scam me?

Once the refund is done you should be able to send an invoice with 0.00 in the postage section so you don't pay fees on postage.

But do that after the buyer has picked it up and just before you mark it as paid and sent. Just so the buyer doesn't think they are supposed to pay online again.

But I would also get a commitment of time when they are going to pick it up before refunding.

Some buyers have known to use this excuse to weasel out of the sale.

image host
Message 3 of 3
Latest reply