Buyer used laptop for 179 days, now want a refund

Long story short, sold a $1500 laptop 179 days ago to a buyer. They want to return it, I said no way, so they filed a paypal dispute and escalated the claim on the 179th day. They got all sorts of excuses, I didn't know the laptop was bought for a 16 year old. Sigh...

Trouble is I have closed that paypal account a while ago. when I switched from sole trader. I can't even log in to respond to their claim. Paypal says if I don't respond with in 10 days they will refund the buyer. I emailed paypal with my side of the story about two days ago. Paypal today send anther email requesting information or will hold my funds.

What should I do? The paypal account was closed before the dispute was filed and since the transaction happened so long ago, Australia post probably don't even have tracking info left. I can't even find the tracking number now... probably have to dig up old receipts...

Will paypal take money from my bank account or credit card if the dispute is ruled to buyer's favour? As I said I can't even login to my old paypal account and respond to this ridiculous claim.

Message 1 of 49
Latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

I wouldn't rely on emailing PayPal here, you really need to call them and explain the situation fully, particularly that you want to (I presume) contest the claim, and not agree to a return / refund. 

The tracking number shouldn't be necessary unless the buyer is claiming Item Not Received. 

Message 2 of 49
Latest reply

No advice unfortunately, but wishing you luck in fighting this! Seems to be a very 'savvy' buyer here, or they have just discovered the 180 MBG policy? I would be absolutely fuming and gutted, I feel your pain!

Message 3 of 49
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Apart from the very obvious advice that Digi has given you to ring paypal I have nothing to add but would love to know what excuses he has used and why the age of the user makes a difference?

Message 4 of 49
Latest reply

What excuses? Tell them to send it back with tracking, have you called the customer?

They got all sorts of excuses

Photobucket
Message 5 of 49
Latest reply

OP doesn't want it back and why would anyone want it back,this buyer has obviously gone ahead and used PayPals ridiculous policy and is trying it on for size,unbelievable.

Message 6 of 49
Latest reply

Laptop fan noise and battery life, dell replaced all the parts as laptop is under warranty. But their son wants this year's model, Dell refused so now they want the money from me. Happy?
Message 7 of 49
Latest reply

It's being used for 6 months, for god sake why would I want it back???
Message 8 of 49
Latest reply

@transoceania wrote:
It's being used for 6 months, for god sake why would I want it back???

I am not saying you want it back, it sounds like because you refused that they are going to keep it and get a refund.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 49
Latest reply

If they are so unhappy with the laptop why wait till 179 days after purchase? It's not my fault they are not happy with the laptop's design, it's a dell XPS 13 with 12 months dell warranty.
Message 10 of 49
Latest reply