Buyer wants to return item after 3 weeks?

Hi guys, I sold a Life Proof case 3-4 weeks back.

The Buyer has contacted me today and told me he has been using it for 2 weeks and today a hinge piece on the bottom has broken and we wants a refund. What is the deal here? 

He has already said that unless i give him a full refund he will take it through paypal.
I mean the item only sold for $35 and $12 postage so im not overly worried but is this my problem?
thanks

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

It seems like they cannot return it in originial packaging and it has been used......Make sure you only deal through ebay messages. Was the item Brand New Did It Have A Warranty?

Paddy

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Thanks for the Reply.
The item was a new lifeproof phone case. However i had it laying around the house in the original box and everything for about 6 months meaning to take it back but i never got to doing it.

Lifeproof do have warranty but the buyer said they did not want to have to contact them about it as they are an american company.

thanks

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If it was a new item and has broken after 3 weeks I would say it was faulty or not fit for the purpose.  The buyer would have every right to ask for a refund in these circumstances.

I think you will find the buyer will win a dispute but they should not have to open one.....you should refund and pay for the return postage if you want the item returned to you.   Personally I would just ask for a photo of the broken item.

If the buyer open a dispute you will get a defect.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Agree with Lyndal, as long as I receive a photo of the fault I refund straight away and tell them not to bother sending it back. If the item can be fixed and resold for more than the cost of return postage and fees then I would ask them to return it at my expense.

If you bought a new item from a shop you would expect it to last more than a couple of weeks, why should ebay be any different? It is a seller's responsibility to make send a replacement or refund. 

If you think the manufacturer should be responsible then pay for the return and you take it up with them, the buyer shouldn't have to do it after such a short time. It is also doubtful that the manufacturer would honour the warranty without an original receipt so unless you sent that with the item that woukd be another reason for the buyer to expect you to del with the problem.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Awesome thanks a lot guys.
I will ask for pics and go from there.
Message 6 of 6
Latest reply