Buyers now have to pay individually for each item, no more combining invoices :(

No joke, it was apparently trialled from 17th May til 26th June and is now being implemented on all ebay sales. Some will still have the old checkout until it is fully implemented.

Buyers have no option to pay later, it is apparently to stop non paying buyers. But it is affecting sales big time. I've been on ebay for over 12 years and I was totally confused when I attempted to purchase 17 items from 1 seller, seller was happy to combine postage. But when I attempted to buy the items I found I had no choice but to pay for each item individually, so I didn't buy them. So how confused will new ebay shoppers be.

At the same time I had a buyer wanting to combine items from my ebay store and was having the same issue. So I phoned ebay about it, at first the ebay rep thought we were pressing the wrong buttons and eventually she informed me that this will be how the new checkout will be for everyone. The buyer has to pay individually including postage costs, if they don't pay there is no sale. The seller can then refund the overpaid postage and then the seller has to contact ebay for a credit on the fees for the overpaid/credited postage.  

This sounds very complicated and it turned me off buying the 17 items I wanted to purchase, so how many other buyers are turning away because they don't like or don't understand the new checkout system.

Try it if you don't believe me, click on buy it now and you will see it takes you directly to the ebay checkout, there is no longer a COMMIT To BUY button, you either pay or there is no sale. It's to stop the non-paying buyers, but what about the buyers who want to buy lots of items and don't want to have to pay all those individual postage costs in the hope that the seller will refund the overpaid postage. 

Hoping ALL buyers & Sellers that aren't happy with this new system will contact ebay to voice their opinions. I think it's promoting off ebay sales, buy 1 item contact the seller or buyer and do the rest of the deal another way. Not that I'm promoting off-ebay sales, but if I thought of it I guess all others will too. 

Hoping Ebay will see some sense and revert back to the old checkout system. Maybe bring back the ability to NEG non-paying bidders to get rid of the time-wasters rather than fiddle with a system that has worked for over a decade.

No doubt there will be some that think this is a good idea, but if you actually try it as a buyer you will see how fumbled it is. On-line shopping should be as stream-lined as possible, having to pay and then wait for a refund is definitely not stream-lined.

Message 1 of 71
Latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

Buyers now have to pay individually for each item, no more combining invoices :(

go-tazz
Community Member

Use the cart function,(it's there for that purpose so you can buy multiple items from the same seller and get

their automatic postage discount or select request total from seller if they haven't set that up):

https://pages.ebay.com.au/help/pay/cart.html

Message 2 of 71
Latest reply

That's why ebay are encouraging sellers to use free postage lol.

But as tazz said put the items into the cart and then request total from seller.

Message 3 of 71
Latest reply

... or contact the seller (as one of my regulars does, because they use the app) and get them to set up a listing for you.

I do BIN with best offer at way more than the items are worth. When the buyer makes the agreed offer, I accept. Easy.

I very much doubt what you are told is correct. That would mean that only Paypal payments are accepted, and they've already been down that road, with the consequence that other payment methods, if chosen by the seller, are available.

Message 4 of 71
Latest reply

Not as simple as that, the new option doesn't give you the option to ask for combined postage. I experienced it today, spent ages on the phone to ebay and the NEW WAY is to pay for all the individual postages even when in cart and then seller can refund overpaid postage.

Message 5 of 71
Latest reply

And what about the 17, or whatever, times Paypal flagfall?

I don't think CS have a clue and just spouted the first thing that came to mind.

Gotta be a glitch

Message 6 of 71
Latest reply

$5.10 that the seller won't be getting back then when it should only be $0.30 what a joke

Message 7 of 71
Latest reply

eBay have been playing with, or perhaps unable to fix the supposed glitch "trialling" this for years, and honestly I have always wondered why it can't generate the same amount of swift, mass outrage and backlash amongst users that it deserved, which is on the same level as someone saying something like "the wage gap is a myth"* on Tumblr, because that would put a decent portion of the site's population in a meltdown.

It has appeared in various forms, eg when it first started happening, users couldn't even add multiple items to the cart (because the add to cart button was also removed). If site functionality was ok so it didn't constantly cause multiple, separate transactions, and/or FVF on postage wasn't involved I probably wouldn't have quietly seethed over it for the last few years (on other's behalf, because it has yet to have a massive effect on my sales, though I do get people making multiple payments).

CS always give a differernt answer as to why it's happening, so the only thing I feel you can take away for sure is that even if they're not doing it on purpose, they're in no rush to make the site inviting and useable to those who buy / sell multiple-item orders.

If anyone needs me, I'll be over here waiting for the day this storm can break >> dark cloud

*I have no interest in sparking, or participating, in a debate on that topic. Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 71
Latest reply

@eezipeezi888 wrote:

That's why ebay are encouraging sellers to use free postage lol.

With free postage there is no need for combined postage as far as eBay is concerned they make more

money on free postage as you can't reduce the postage.

I've had a few listings with free postage re-listing for a few weeks at $9.99,(today I changed them to $7.99

with $2 postage and sold 3 on this account and one on my other account).

Same total price but no sales until I included postage,(so free postage didn't work for those),tease.gif

Message 9 of 71
Latest reply

Digi I would have joined the mass outrage.....if it had happened to me.

I buy quite a lot using the Cart, especially when I can add up to 10 items to take advantage of discount vouchers.  I have NEVER had an occasion when I was unable to buy unless I paid for each item immediately.   It would be a deal breaker and unless I had dealt with the seller on a regular basis I would not trust them to refund any overpaid postage.

Message 10 of 71
Latest reply