Can I send an item thinner than 20mm with the Registered Post Letter or does it have to be docs?

I want to sell this flat peice of item below 20mm.

I don't want to send it with a normal Large letter because no tracking is included, but with the Registered Post Letter there is tracking.

I was wondering if I can put a flat item inside the registered post letter anhd send it or does it have to be documents inside only?

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Can I send an item thinner than 20mm with the Registered Post Letter or does it have to be docs?

go-tazz
Community Member

You can put anything that's legal to post in one of those envelopes.

It even states some examples on the Registered letter.

Just make certain you secure it with cardboard or similar so that it can't bunch up and become over size.

Items I send by letter rate are always put in a freezer bag and then secured to cardboard if needed.

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

Hey! I was just wondering, are you from Australia

@go-tazz wrote:

You can put anything that's legal to post in one of those envelopes.

It even states some examples on the Registered letter.

Just make certain you secure it with cardboard or similar so that it can't bunch up and become over size.

Items I send by letter rate are always put in a freezer bag and then secured to cardboard if needed.

and is this the envaope your talking about ? https://shop.auspost.com.au/product/registered-post-dl-prepaid-envelope-0590638m

I just want to be extra sure we're on the same boat before I start buying 🙂

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

Hey are you from Australia by the way ?

https://shop.auspost.com.au/product/registered-post-dl-prepaid-envelope-0590638m

Is this the envalope your talking about ?

I just want to make sure we're on the same boat before I start buying these prepaid evalopes.

By the way, you reckon I can buy just 1 at my local post office or do I have to buy in bulks. 

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

Hi 

Sorry to intrude Tazz but if you use the Registered Envelopes  you can only post paper items.

Paddy

PS From what I am led to believe a normal registered envelope if it is under 5 mm must only contain Paper if is is between 5 mm and 20 mm and contains something other than paper then it becomes a parcel.

Thank You

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

Crows you can post anything in a prepaid registered envelope as you can with a normal large letter envelope. As long as it's within the size stated.
https://shop.auspost.com.au/product/registered-post-dl-prepaid-envelope-0590638m;pgid=VVUSfVjKrAhSRp...
click on read more then click on key features it says

Options such as extra cover up to $5,000, delivery confirmation and person-to-person delivery are available for an additional fee payable when lodging at an Australia Post retail outlet.
For use when sending important documents or valuable items weighing less than 250g within Australia.
The cost of Registered Post DL prepaid envelopes include the cost of the standard Registered Post service and postage.

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

This is what it states on the registered mail envelope:

IMG_5937.JPG

IMG_5939.JPG

IMG_5941.JPG

As you can see,other items are allowed,ok.gif

I have sent Comics,a watch,DVD's and other items via the letter rate and each could go via the registered mail

letter rate option,(my PO knows what I send via the letter rate), good.gif

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

I have mailed normal large letter envelopes by registered mail before.

We send out baby heaqdbands etc and they didnt seem to mind what was inside the envelope.

In this case I did not use the prepaid envelope but purchased the registered mail sticker over the counter.

All worked no worries.

So I suspect that it would be exactly the same rules for the prepaid registered envelopes as long as its under the 20mm thickness when you lodge it over the counter.

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

@clarry100 wrote:

I have mailed normal large letter envelopes by registered mail before.

We send out baby heaqdbands etc and they didnt seem to mind what was inside the envelope.

In this case I did not use the prepaid envelope but purchased the registered mail sticker over the counter.

All worked no worries.

So I suspect that it would be exactly the same rules for the prepaid registered envelopes as long as its under the 20mm thickness when you lodge it over the counter.

Hi Clarry

AP can be very picky when they want to be.. I have sent Trading Cards Registered and because it was not paper "They were in Plastic Holders" in the envelope I got charged Parcel rates after I purchased the Registered Envelope FROM THE SAME PO. The weight was under 125 grams. thickness was not a problem  about 5 mm so where is the logic.....The Plastic Holder was what cos the problem.

Paddy

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

I think many years ago, some letter items were for "paper only" and it may have stipulated that on the prepaid envelope.  I think that was the case with the prepaid A4 sized yellow express envelopes.  Although I do remember posting flat thin items in these envelopes with no issues ....... but I can certainly imagine the occaional post office taking a particular stance.

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply