Can I vent a minute??

Just got two return requests for tops (same buyer). They were a size 14 and a size L from two different brands. Apparently both are much too small 'even though she's a size 12', and obviously they are not the sizes I said, even though their brand labels and manufacturer size labels are STILL ATTACHED (these aren't random chinese brands, they're jay jays and barkins)

Not only does she look for a refund, which, fine, whatever, but she demands that I repay the postage because I advertised them wrong (and makes no mention at all of returning them of course) What, because she knows what a size 14 is better than jay jays and barkins?

The issue is that they were semi-fitted tops. I'm sure she is a 12 in a target shirred maxi dress, not so much in workwear lady. 

The thing is, I've just realized, this is the person who asked for a steep discount on these items two weeks ago. I never do discounts or 'best offers' or anything except my advertised one, because in my experience, the people who ask for discounts and deals are FAR more likely to complain or just generallky be idiots who don't know what size they are (there's a difference between the 14 being a bit tighter than expected, and claiming the 14 is actually a 10, mislabelled by the brand, because you're a 12 and it wont fit)

But, this one time I agreed to give her a deal because I am recovering from a medical situation and trying to get my sales moving again after months of no new stock. 

So, thank you customer, for reminding me why I never, ever, ever give discounts or accept offers on anything, ever. 

Message 1 of 46
Latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Can I vent a minute??

i bet she has one of those side show mirrors where when you stand in front of it you look lile a stick of celery instead of a pumpkin.

i'm thinking special list for this royal pain in the proverbial buyer.

Message 2 of 46
Latest reply

Can I vent a minute??

Sorry that things have gone a big wrong.  

Not to add to your troubles, but this is where someone will tell you, you really must have measurements in your listing - how wide, how long, etc.

And at least one extra photo showing the tag.    

I see that your listings have a no returns policy - is that the case with these items?

Message 3 of 46
Latest reply

Can I vent a minute??

I only put in the no returns policy this week because of an equally stupid buyer on my other ID and deciding I had had enough of items that don't fit. These tops were still under the 7-day-returns policy when they were bought.

As for the measurements, I have been doing this a few years and not putting measurements in my listings is a very intentional choice. The occasional idiot customer isn't frequent enough to change that, this is a rare and frustrating occurance, not a weekly one, but the advantages of leaving them off are much higher in my personal experience. Maybe measurements would have helped this customer. But, frankly, I think it's more likely they wouldn't have bothered checking them. I had a look at their feedback and they frequently complain in feedback to others that the items are shorter than the picture showed. Yes, when you're stretching a size 12 to fit a size 16 the pulling of the fabric, and the extra length it has to cover, does tend to make it shorter <_< So, I very much doubt this is the first or last time she's done it, measurements or not. 

Message 4 of 46
Latest reply

Can I vent a minute??

I agree with curraone.   Actual measurements are a must, as are more than one pic.

Pic of label, side , back   

I like one of your tops, but only one photo and no measurements.....

How will I know if it fits?

Don't have an answer for you, sorry.   But I'd fix those listings if I were you

And not all clothes have the right size labels on them.

Message 5 of 46
Latest reply

Can I vent a minute??

Hope you explain that it is policy to have the items returned before a refund can be issued as per almost all retail outlets in Aus.

image host
Message 6 of 46
Latest reply

Can I vent a minute??

*rolls eyes* yep, ok

I'll continue running my successful, profiting, $20/hr wage business the way I've been doing it for years (without excessive issues with defects, mind you), and you people can continue ranting on about how ebay is dying and no one buys anything and there's no way to make money here anymore, and shutting up shop. 

I remember why I stopped posting on these forums, a bunch of people telling me what I'm doing wrong while simultaniously complaining about how bad things are, and definitely no one willing to even consider or ask what reasons I might have for doing things differently, or entertain the idea it's actually working, one stupid customer this week excluded. (the other customer I mentioned, the one who caused me to shut down returns? He bought a mens item, which, by nature, DID include measurements since they ARE the size. He still bought the wrong damn size)

Yeah, whatever guys. Sorry for bothering you with my little vent. 

Message 7 of 46
Latest reply

Can I vent a minute??

You did get double value out of your vent though...

OK

seriously, if what you do works for you, great!

and I am one for measurements but understand if a known brand is listed with a size label, I can try asking for them if still unsure before I buy. So I get both sides here.  Most main brands also have a measurements table online (again, not perfect but a start if the seller hasn't put them in)

hope you get better soon.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 8 of 46
Latest reply

Can I vent a minute??

No bother I am sure.

But keep in mind most posters here are only trying to be helpful.

If there is something you don't agree with, you can always just ignore it.

I am also a converted with realizing measurements are more important then sizes over the net.

I sold a leather jacket and manufacturers idea of XL was apparently very different to the norm.

So now, I think of buyers as being totally stupid and give them everything. 

Then if they still complain, I now it's them not me. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 9 of 46
Latest reply

Can I vent a minute??

Totally stupid 🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 10 of 46
Latest reply