Can a buyer change the DSRs they left?

I had a buyer purchase an item on 12 Sept. She paid on 16 Sept just before 4pm - too late that day for posting as I had already left for the PO. I posted the following day, which is within my stated time frame of 1 business day, and also marked the item as sent and uploaded the tracking number. She gave me 1 star for postage time, which of course has resulted in a defect. Can I ask her to change it, and if so, how do you go about it?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

No, according to CS when l spoke to them.

You have to get the buyer to remove the feedback.

My buyer said they hit the low star by error. They asked eBay to change it but were told it cannot be done.

The buyer sent me an eBay message saying 'Please remove my feedback, l give my permission'.

Then l had to contact CS and ask them to read the buyer's message.

The green dot went, the low DSR's took a week but they went too (updated weekly on a thursday).

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Did the associated defect get removed too?

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

@thingsmostneeded wrote:

No, according to CS when l spoke to them.

You have to get the buyer to remove the feedback.

My buyer said they hit the low star by error. They asked eBay to change it but were told it cannot be done.

The buyer sent me an eBay message saying 'Please remove my feedback, l give my permission'.

Then l had to contact CS and ask them to read the buyer's message.

The green dot went, the low DSR's took a week but they went too (updated weekly on a thursday).

I have emailed the buyer and asked why she left one star for postage, but haven't had a reply as yet. If she says it was an error, I will have to follow what you suggested. Even though it sounds like a very long-winded way of doing it.

I just wish buyers would think before they hit the stars or at least be aware of what it does. Although my dashboard says I have 8 defects only 5 are listed, going back to April - how does that work?

And of those 5, 3 are for item not as described. In one of the cases, I emailed the buyer describing a tiny flaw I found as I was packing it, and gave her the opportunity to cancel the sale, but she said she still wanted the item. But then gave me a low rating for description. Another item - a brand new sealed in packet SB sheet, the buyer was disparaging about the quality (she paid $10 for a $35 sheet from Harris Scarfe) - but I don't see how this is worthy of a low description rating. The 3rd low rating was for a pack of gel pens - still sealed in their packet - which the buyer said a couple didn't work. Again, how is this my fault? I'm not going to open a sealed pack to check whether all the pens work.

The 5th low rating was for a cancelled transaction, in which I am sure the buyer decided the item didn't fit (measurments given in listing). I refunded her in full, and sent her a prepaid satchel in which to return the item. And yet still scored a defect.

The whole defect system stinks.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

CS can remove defects if you can demonstrate that you posted within the stated timeframe via tracking.

However, from other posts getting them to honour eBays commitment to remove DSRs if you can prove they are not deserved is apparently very difficult.

The policy, as usual is poorly written, and does not cover off the areas as clearly as it might,

Under the defect removal policy, it notes that the following defects are not eligible for removal:

Postage-related defects when the transaction doesn't have tracking that enables us to verify on-time order fulfilment and delivery

In addition the policy notes that: 

• We remove defects that qualify for automatic removal every Wednesday. Defect removal may be delayed to the following week if tracking shows the item is still in transit, if there is an open eBay Money Back Guarantee case or a refund hasn't been issued for a returned item.

• Sellers may request the removal of defects that we haven't automatically removed when they followed selling best practices and they believe the buyer experience did not have a defect.

Based on the above, you could argue that tracking demonstrates on-time order fulfilment and delivery and the defect is eligible for removal.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

I can tell you I had a defect removed but my buyer did have to contact CS and tell them it was left in error. There was a bit of back and forth, CS said they could only remove the defect if the whole feedback was removed. Even though my feedback comment was positive I asked to have it removed. Both the comment and the defect were removed.
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

I shall have to wait and see what my buyer says, IF she responds.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

I haven't had a reply as yet from the buyer, so I tried to initiate a Request Feedback Revision, only to discover that "None of your Feedback is eligible for revision." Odd I thought, but may be it only applies to when negative or neutral feedback is left. In this case the buyer gave positive feedback, accompanied by an apology for her late payment.

So I rang ebay and explained the situation. They seemed 'sympathetic' and said they would need to do further investigation. So I await their response.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

I had 2 buyers who left positive feedback that they were very happy with their items yet left very low DSRs for Item as Described. Go figure! It sucks really. There was never any contact as to any problems. This is were it's unfair.on sellers. I think if someone is going to leave low DSRs it should be compulsory that they contact sellers first and give them the chance to rectify any problems.
Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

I also received positive feedback with a low DSR for Item Description (despite it being exactly as described IMO) and I was very annoyed to discover that if a buyer enters 1 or 2 stars they receive the notification below, but if they enter 3 stars, they receive no such notification, yet 3 stars still gives the seller a defect. This is extremely unfair and it seems to me that eBay is intentionally setting up sellers to fail. As you quite correctly stated, it sucks.

DSR.jpeg

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply