Can't cancel sale for buyer

I had a buyer who purchased something a few days ago, but didn't pay. I opened an UID and she paid, but also sent me a message request to please cancel the order as she didn't realise it had gone through and would be returning it anyway as she did not intend to buy it.

I have no problem cancelling, it's just that when I go to cancel, it tells me I can't becuase there is an open case. The buyer has paid, so I'm a bit confused here.

I could just refund her through PP, but then I'll lose my FVF.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

You can cancel even paid item in your selling manager from a drop down menu on the item you want to cancel

During this process you wil need to choose a cancellation reason and you will be asked to refund the payment. Just remember when you cancel through ebay you will need to select "Buyer asked to cancel it" as a reason otherwise you will get a defect. If your buyer confirms a cancellation request send to him by ebay they will refund your fvf, if she does not do it you will need to wait for a few days.

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Mark it paid, then cancel using Buyer made a mistake and refund, (keep the email from her stating she did not intend to buy).  Tell her to avoid a penalty to either party she will need to confirm she wishes to cancel and that usually "encourages" them to follow through as they don't like the idea of being penalised.  Once she agrees to the cancellation your fees will be refunded.  If she doesn't respond to the cancellation you will have to wait 10 days and then it will cancel anyway and you still get your fees back.  The only way you won't is if she responds but says she doesn't agree.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

The item has been marked as paid because the buyer has made payment and the money is sitting in PP.

An email was sent to me stating that UID was closed.

However, when I go to cancel it, I get this - pic attached.

Maybe the system is confused because I opened a UID, she paid and now I'm trying to cancel after payment received?

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

I think the ebay system is confused because there has been a UID case opened. Even tho its now closed because your buyer paid.

So now its blocking you from issuing a cancellation request. Normally you cannot transition a UID over to a cancellation once the UID is opened.

I think you are going to have to get on the phone to ebay CS and see if they can overrride the UID and allow the cancellation to proceed.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Thanks Clarry.

I may as well just refund her through PP anyway as I don't have any burning desire to spend time on the phone to CS.

It's a small loss on the FVF (80c), but it seems the quickest and most painless route to go.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Just a bit of an annoyance that due to what appears to be a glitch in their system they make another 80-cents.

Wonder how much FVF's they keep due to things like this.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

So I refunded the buyer via PP and she wrote to thank me, so all was fine.

However, I woke up in the middle of the night thinking that I was going to get a defect becuase I had refunded her this way.

I went onto my Seller Dashboard this morning and there is no defect showing, so I suppose I'm ok.

I thought if you just refunded without going through a resolution of some sort it woulf give a defect?

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

I have refunded this way before (not very often) and have never been issued a defect, so I expect you will be OK.

But you don't get back your FVF this way either.

I would think if you speak with ebay CS and get them to review the messages and what happend in this case they will likely give you a manual credit of your FVF. I know its only 80-cents but better in your pocket than theirs is the way I think of it.

Rather than hang on the phone waiting, request a callback. They are usually back within minutes and you seem to get a more knowledgeable and understanding CSR when you go this way.

Good luck.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

@cushioncovers wrote:

So I refunded the buyer via PP and she wrote to thank me, so all was fine.

However, I woke up in the middle of the night thinking that I was going to get a defect becuase I had refunded her this way.

I went onto my Seller Dashboard this morning and there is no defect showing, so I suppose I'm ok.

I thought if you just refunded without going through a resolution of some sort it woulf give a defect?

No, you won't get a defect just because you refunded.  I've done it a couple of times before as well, but a couple of weeks ago I had a buyer pay by both paypal and bank deposit (long story), and when the bank deposit showed in my account I refunded her pp payment.  As far as ebay knows I refunded her the full amount but I never got a defect.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply