Chargeback: Suspicious Buyer

This morning we received a PayPal notification of a chargeback dating back to 8th August. The buyer is claiming unauthorised use of the card.

The amount is for $8.00. Not too bad I guess.

She left positive FB for us at the time suggesting she received the item. "Thank U send well"

We looked at the buyers feedback and see that she has bought lots of similar items from other sellers since this date as well.

So we contacted one of the major sellers about this and they answered straight away that they too have received the same notification about the same buyer overnight. Theirs was for about $140. They are not happy.

Most of our items are small so we use standard mail as was the case in this instance. So I understand because of that we will get no seller protection.

There are about 12 other sellers on her FB list as well, so I wondered how many others might have received these same notices.

We have sent a message to the buyer about this asking for her to confirm what is going on. So far no response but I don't hold out much hope there.

This one sounds a bit fishy to me. This is the first one of these we have had.

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Seems suss alright. I would make sure I responded to her feedback letting others know that a chargeback was processed. Not sure if that is allowed or not though. perhaps get the other seller to respond to her feedback as well.

Search the boards for "chargeback" there are a few more threads with good advice in them.

Message 2 of 31
Latest reply

What date did she leave you feedback.
Message 3 of 31
Latest reply

She left FB on 12th Aug. 4-days after we mailed it out.

Message 4 of 31
Latest reply

Firstly dont jump to conclusions or assume something without all the facts,  She may have just found out her account was being used especially if she hasnt used eBay in a while and just now notified her bank and would explain why others also are being charged back at the same time.   And for her leaving feedback who said she did, If the thief who got her details to use her account would also beable to leave feedbacks as well,  as they would have her details to do so. And it makes sense to as if she was not using or watching eBay she probably wouldnt have a clue.

Regardless of all that I do realise you would think she would have had some idea what was going on before now but you just dont know what people are doing she may have gone over seas or anything. But yes you would have thought something would have allerted her earlier.

Your best bet is to ring PP or eBay or both and see what they can tell you as they would be in contact with the buyer buy now about all the charge backs.  Just because you dont qulify for PP protection does not mean eBay PP do not have any obligation to inform you of what has taken place and why. I would ring and fight tooth and nail regardless of the amount but just on principal you are still being ripped off and they need to be held accountable ebay PP that is. They charge handsomely for there services so they can sort it out when it goes asstray.  Regardless of eBays PP policy there are still laws that they need to adhear to and next time you might not be so lucky as to only being 8 dollars. 

I would also ask PP and eBay to refund your fee,s for this transaction , because of the length of time you cant lodge a refund form but that does not mean your not entitled to your fee,s being refunded. You lose so should eBay PP . They can not charge you for a transaction that has been reversed. That in itself is HIGHLY illegal.  Your fees final value and listing fee,s if apply should be immediatly reinstated to your account. May only be a dollar but its your dollar eBay has billions of dollars dont give them 1 cent they dont deserve.  Good luck and come back and let us know what happens.

Message 5 of 31
Latest reply

I'm guessing if someone hacked into her PayPal account then they would have changed the delivery address too.

If that is true then she would have no clue someone was using her account as stuff was not turning up in her mail box unannounced.

She would only see it at all the next bank statement time.

I do have a phone number from the PP transaction record. So was considering trying to call that number and see what I get. Not sure if/not doing so might jeopardise the investigation tho.

Message 6 of 31
Latest reply

Unauthorised use can be an extremely difficult case to win unless it's proven that the cardholder was the buyer / recipient of the goods.

A buyer's eBay name, address etc may all match up with the PayPal name and address, but unfortunately that doesn't mean they used a card in their own name and with full knowledge / permission of the cardholder. Sometimes the bank will also reverse several of the last transactions as unauthorised if the cardholder exceeds their limit, defaults on repayments or reports their card as lost or stolen - if it's the bank's doing, they're unlikely to decide against themselves (without input from the cardholder) and Seller Protection would be the only way to retain funds. 

Hopefully you will get a response from the buyer that will shed some light on exactly how the chargeback was initiated, as that can help decide on a course of action (if any). 

Message 7 of 31
Latest reply

We have since received another message from the other seller we contacted about this.

Their exposure has increased to $230. This is terrible.

There are many other sellers on the list so I don't know what their exposure is.

Message 8 of 31
Latest reply

It could also be that they have maxed out their credit card and missed a payment or two. The bank will then chargeback past payments to bring the balance back (as well as chase the credit card holder).

If that is the case, the buyer may not know about it until they get a letter from the bank, or read their messages from eBay sellers.

Or giving them benefit of the doubt - their card has been compromised on some random transaction around the same time as they made payments to seller. They have contacted their bank over that one transaction and the bank has cancelled all transactions since that date.

Not saying either of those are the case here, but just two instances where the bank takes on a mind of its own.

If the first case, your buyer will put head in the sand and plead innocence.

If the second case, your buyer will be horrified and would try fixing the issue with the bank.

(Or they may just be an online shoplifter).

Message 9 of 31
Latest reply

Send them a real letter,  not an emai, giving them your bank details and 'explain' that unless you receive payment within 3 days you will be reporting them to the police for obtaining goods by deception

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 31
Latest reply