Chargeback: Suspicious Buyer

This morning we received a PayPal notification of a chargeback dating back to 8th August. The buyer is claiming unauthorised use of the card.

The amount is for $8.00. Not too bad I guess.

She left positive FB for us at the time suggesting she received the item. "Thank U send well"

We looked at the buyers feedback and see that she has bought lots of similar items from other sellers since this date as well.

So we contacted one of the major sellers about this and they answered straight away that they too have received the same notification about the same buyer overnight. Theirs was for about $140. They are not happy.

Most of our items are small so we use standard mail as was the case in this instance. So I understand because of that we will get no seller protection.

There are about 12 other sellers on her FB list as well, so I wondered how many others might have received these same notices.

We have sent a message to the buyer about this asking for her to confirm what is going on. So far no response but I don't hold out much hope there.

This one sounds a bit fishy to me. This is the first one of these we have had.

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

I just find it strange. If someone was to use someone's account, use there PayPal and then have the item posted to them. They would have to change the address unless its a naughty teenager in the house.
I can't help but wonder why leave feedback.
If I was mean enough to do that to someone why would I care about a sellers feedback.
I would be finding out what's going on $8 or $800 you should not be out this money. .
When life gives you lemons.
Squeeze them into people's eyes
Message 11 of 31
Latest reply

@belindabargainhunter  No one has said the card was used buy anyone I mearly stated that this could I repeat COULD be the case no one knows.  Im simply pointing out just because the account has had a redraw put on it does not automaticlly mean the buyer is at fault no one knows until more info can be obtained to why.  The OP will need to  contact either PP or eBay regarding fruadulant activity . After all regardless if its the buyer or a theif  the op is still a victim of fraud until otherwise and PP and eBay need to sort it out.

Message 12 of 31
Latest reply

@belindabargainhunter wrote:
I just find it strange. If someone was to use someone's account, use there PayPal and then have the item posted to them. They would have to change the address unless its a naughty teenager in the house.

Not necessarily.

Let's say I'm at work and I stumble across a company credit card. Let's also say I'm the kind of person that decides it's an opportunity for free shoes (I'm not, really, I promise Smiley LOL). So, I log into my eBay account, purchase myself some nifty boots and use the company credit card via PayPal. I don't need to change anything, I just have to enter the card's details.

Cut to one month later and the boss is going through the card statement...

The scenario can vary, but what is important is that you can use everything that is registered to you except a card without too many problems (at the point of sale, anyway). 

EDIT: As to the issue of feedback, sometimes the bank initiates these things without the buyer knowing, so the chargeback itself may not have been started by the buyer/cardholder - i.e. they personally had no intention to claim the money back.

Message 13 of 31
Latest reply

I've only contacted one other seller and they have confirmed they are exposed to the tune of about $230. There are at least 12 other sellers on this buyer's FB list that are likely exposed to I don't know how much. I have not been in touch with them.

I have sent a message (via eBay messaging) to the buyer asking for a please explain. But of course nothing back. I would think if they were honest and knew nothing about it they would respond.

I may try to call the phone number I have tomorrow to see who answers.

I have also noticed that the name of the PayPal account holder and the name on the shipping address we used are nowhere near the same. Maybe that should have been an alert to something fishy initially. But you normally don't go into the paypal transaction record to closely check all the details.

Message 14 of 31
Latest reply

Clarry, if you have only contacted the lady through eBay messages, she may not have received it?

Has she been active recently?

It could be that she hasn't been beck to eBay and seen your messages.

(I know, a long shot, but.......)

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 15 of 31
Latest reply

Clarry did you post the item to the address supplied by Paypal?

If you have posted to another name and address then you could be in trouble so luckily it is only $8.00
Message 16 of 31
Latest reply

Yes... we mailed to the address shown in PayPal.

But I suspect it is false as now I see that the name on the postal address is different to the name on the PayPal account.

Nonetheless we did ship to the PayPal address tho.

Message 17 of 31
Latest reply

Yeah I'm thinking today I might call the number that we found in the PayPal account.

Message 18 of 31
Latest reply

tstore
Community Member
You will not jusy be out by $8 but you will also be charged by PayPal $15 from memory. If this happens call PayPal and ask them as a one off to credit your account the $15
Message 19 of 31
Latest reply

That's the fee if you fight it and lose the way I understand it.

Message 20 of 31
Latest reply