Cheapest way of sending parcel

I wonder if anyone can suggest the cheapest way to send a 15 kg parcel interstate from Vic to SA?

Would it be cheaper to use a freight company or AP's 3 x 5 kg satchels?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

OK, yep just found some info in a pdf:

From 14 May, the mailing boxes can still be used but if your item exceeds the maximum weight limit,please purchase assessed postageits price is determined by the parcel size, weight and destination. Assessed postage is available up to 22kg, however the structure of the Bx1, Bx2 and Bx4 boxes are sturdy enough to hold parcels weighing up to 15kg.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

If you process the parcel through eBay Postage labels using the Bx4 as Own Packaging you will save 8% off the over the counter price.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

without having specifics a quote from 3000 to 5000 by ego couriers by road is $163.90!

so Australia Post satchels or the B4 boxes are the way to go.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

rjm6572
Community Member

without the measurements aus post is much cheaper

a parcel 40 x 35 x 35 from 3000 to 5000 is $28.20 & that includes tracking too

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Thank U so much for the info,

Still researching, I found out I can't use a B4 box at the cheap rate as it only takes 5 kg, I will have to pay for the B4 at the 15 kg rate, which is better than the 3 x 5 kg.  

But I will check with my local PO on whether they take the 15 kg weight in one box.

By the way, C&S does not appear have the B4 boxes at any weight.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

eBay Australia Post Flat Rate Large (Bx4) Box - $15 for up to 5kg for anywhere in Australia (must be done through ebay/create label) is my understanding.

I believe Bx4 option no longer available through C&S

What is confusing is that for Bx4 it refers to 15kg such as at the following link:

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/pay/shipping-services.html

I have started using the Bx4 ebay option, has been very handy for me but the actual weight has always been under 5kg

Has anyone got more info on the 'assessed weight' or what is actually allowed (based on experience) with the ebay/Bx4s?

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

C&S no longer has a flat-rate for the Bx4. You can send a parcel in a Bx4 at the regular assessed rate. Aus Post will accept parcels up to 22kg.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

chezzy, the new max weights for the flat-rate boxes are

Bx1  1kg

Bx2  3kg

Bx4  5kg

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

OK, yep just found some info in a pdf:

From 14 May, the mailing boxes can still be used but if your item exceeds the maximum weight limit,please purchase assessed postageits price is determined by the parcel size, weight and destination. Assessed postage is available up to 22kg, however the structure of the Bx1, Bx2 and Bx4 boxes are sturdy enough to hold parcels weighing up to 15kg.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

If you process the parcel through eBay Postage labels using the Bx4 as Own Packaging you will save 8% off the over the counter price.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Thank U Chessy & Bigbrickshop.

I was a bit wary of the B4 box I have, whether it would hold that weight - might put a fair bit of tape around it.

The next thing will be the postal manager, wonder whether she can lift 15 kg, I know I can't lift that much weight & the lady is small in stature.  The only way I'll get the parcel into the PO will be on a trolley.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply