Check out what ebay doing to sellers and their listings

valdoe
Community Member

Has anyone seen the new listing layout.

I went to one listings and nearly fell off my seat and smashed my monitor.(see pic below).

How much more difficult is ebay trying to make sellers to make sales.

In this last year they have added

• A large square ad under your details

At the bottom of your listing 

• People who bought this item also bought Ads
  • See what other people are watching Ads
  • Sponsored Links Ads

All the above has the potential to take away a buyer away from your product.

Now they added an new panel called "People who viewed this item also viewed"

Placed above the fold and  between your photo, buy it now and your description of your product.

This is the most blaunted thing Ebay has done to ruin a seller a chance to making a sale.

Not only is it highlighting your opposition products but if clicked on, takes away your potential customer and sale away from you

How do you feel about this... losing sales not because the customer didn't want you item but because they got hijacked away.

As my mother said "you never get anything for free." Is this the price a seller has to pay because of the free listing?

I would rather they say to us.. pay 1% on my FV fees and not have any ads in my listing.

But wait.. their answer will be "we want ebay customers to have an enjoyable buying experience"

Bye ALL because for the next statement I making is sure to ban me from ebay.and this post will be deleted.

Ebay new listing format.jpg

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Check out what ebay doing to sellers and their listings

When you buy an ad in the newspaper, you buy a certain amount of space and even if there are hundreds of ads around yours, there isn't any other advertising in the space you've paid for. If any part of eBay can be compared to classified listings in the newspaper, it's the search results rather than individual listings.

Sadly, however, by using eBay and agreeing to the T&Cs, you agree that eBay own the listing space whether you pay for the privilege of using it or not, and that they can carve it up as much as they like to insert advertising. If you pay for listing an item, you're also paying for eBay to have more advertising space.

Individual websites have little things like "people who viewed or bought this item also bought....", the difference is they're only linking to what they themselves have for sale. I haven't really made up my mind about eBay doing it - pretending that the site isn't made up of many, many individual sellers who have no interest in advertising their competitors listings, nor having their competitors advertise theirs, that is - but at the very least if someone clicks on the link it should open a new tab. 

There's also the issue that such a "feature" is manipulable, to a degree. 

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

If you don't like that you're free to move to somewhere like the US where free speech has gone even further down the tube.

Why would I do that, I much prefer living in the UK!

Talking about free speech why are you allowed to express your opinion but I am not allowed to disagree with you?

As for being a lover of ebay! I don't ascribe any emotion to ebay, it is a tool I use for buying and selling items. If I can buy cheaper/better there then I will use it. If I can sell more items at a higher price then I will use it. If either of those cease to be true then I will go elsewhere.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

NO NO NO these links are designed to take your sales away and give them to the super sellers try clicking them and you will see!! YOU WILL ALSO SEE THIS DOES NOT APPEAR IN SUPER SELLERS LISTING PAGES!! > People who viewed this item also viewed< THESE MUNGRLE DONT GIVE A CRACKER WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO PEOPLES LIVELY HOODS AND RUINED PEOPLES LIVES!! MY SALES HAVE PLUMMITED AND SO WILL YOURS!!! I am cleaning up my listing finish last stock and get the heck out of this waste of time place!! Its Pathetic!!

AND WHAT MAKES ME SICK IS THE LIMITED AMOUNT OF PEOPLE THAT WONT PICK UP THE **bleep** PHONE AND COMPLAIN!! IF ENOUGH PEOPLE DEMAND THIS STOP IT WOULD!! YOU FORGET PEOPLE WE PAY FOR THAT SPACE THATS OUR GWARD **bleep** SPACE!! WE ALSO PAY FOR A STORE AND PAY MORE TO KEEP STUFF IN OUR STORE EVERY MONTH!! SO GET ON THE PHONE AND OPEN YOUR MOUTHS PLEASE!! Man Mad

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

WE DON'T HAVE TO STAND FOR THIS!!
Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

Nah, not the US, but whence she came, all the same.

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

@bm62 wrote:

If you check phorum junkies feedback there hasn't been feedback left in nearly 4 years.

Not an ebay lover by the looks of it, just another troll.

Wrong bm62, that is PJ's posting ID, and is used to help people on these forums.

A troll????? NO, just another member, like you.

BTW it's not a crime to have more than one eBay ID...............................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

And the thread is seven months old.

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

@party_buzz wrote:
WE DON'T HAVE TO STAND FOR THIS!!

True.

At the top of the page, where it says "People who viewed this item also viewed", there is a question mark symbol.

If you mouse-over it, a little speech bubble pops up which contains a link to "Learn More" about cross-promoting items.

Click the learn more link and you will arrive at an eBay help page. I will copy/paste the most relevant information here...

Cancelling cross-promotions

If you want to cancel your cross promotion:

1. Go to My eBay.

2. Move your cursor over  the Account tab until you see the pull-down menu.

3. Select Marketing Tools.

4. Select the No check box near the top of the page. Your selection applies to all of your active listings.

Your items will still be shown on pages and emails directly related to your listings, and other sellers' items won't be displayed in your listings.  

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

And the thread is seven months old.

Dave, I just got **bleep** off that a new member had a go at PJ,

Hey, we all know that PJ can be confronting sometimes, but the advice that's given is by her and older members is worth its weight in gold.

for you PJ....................

......tumblr_m3cbcaa6Dw1qguyo7o1_400.jpg

Rock on you old girl....................................

We care for you over here in Perth......................................

Oh, 7 months old post dave...................FMD.................

sigh.............................

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

@padi.0409.0409 wrote:

@bm62 wrote:

If you check phorum junkies feedback there hasn't been feedback left in nearly 4 years.

Not an ebay lover by the looks of it, just another troll.

Wrong bm62, that is PJ's posting ID, and is used to help people on these forums.

A troll????? NO, just another member, like you.

BTW it's not a crime to have more than one eBay ID...............................

Here's the original from bm62, since the first post was killed..........................

Sigh............................

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply