Checkout system problems

To sellers; When I try to purchase using 'buy it now' it goes straight to ebay's new checkout system.  

Now, I don't have a pp account and have no intention of opening one, so I use the credit card option.  Everytime, it rejects my credit card. 'We can't process your payment. Please select a different payment method or check your payment details.'

I know my cc is fine, as I'm able to use it on ebay for items won at auction, which I can pay using the 'old' checkout.  I also use it on websites.  The last four things I have gone to purchase I haven't bothered with, and have gone to other websites instead, paying a little more, but at least being able to pay without being forced to use pp. 

Before everyone says 'just get pp' that isn't going to happen.  In my books they are an unconscionable business, so I avoid them. For my own online business (not ebay) I use a different payment processor, very successfully.

I actually tried to pay a seller using bank deposit, because of this issue, and would you believe they did a runner, on a $20 item.  Pathetic.  No wonder ebay has a bad rep.  Pulling their details was not helpful at all - no address or email address, just a general location and a mobile ph number.  Whereas, in my online business, if someone pays via bank deposit and if I decided to rip them off (which I wouldn't) they have access to my ABN and therefore everything they need to take it further with fair trading. 

Vent over.  So, sellers, if you have a choice, could you please make it so buy-it-nows go to the old checkout system? I can't be the only customer choosing to purchase elsewhere. 

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Checkout system problems

I might be stating the obvious but is it possible this new checkout is showing all options even though the seller you chose doesn't offer merchant facility?

In other words check in the listing if you haven't whether the seller offers credit card payment.

(You probably did before purchase)

Otherwise must be a glitch with this new checkout design.

image host
Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

Checkout system problems

I wish that were it, but it's cc processed by paypal, so that isn't the case.  Also, the checkout system only offers methods the seller has chosen, so some will show bank deposit and others won't.   🙂

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

Checkout system problems

Unfortunately the sellers are at the mercy of ebay when it comes to this thing. There was a thread on the new checkout system a week or two back and I don't think anyone was happy about it.

I paid for something a couple of days ago and I'm pretty sure I got the new checkout, but I still had to sign in to pp, unlike what happens to a lot of others. I noticed a bit down the bottom where I could tick it if I wanted to pay in future without having to sign in to paypal. Could it be possible that that box has been checked on one of your previous payments without you noticing it?

If I were you I'd contact ebay or paypal and ask them about it, though it'd probably be unrealistic to expect ebay to be able to explain their own systems.
Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

Checkout system problems

My understanding (and it is limited) is that the guest checkout via Paypal using your credit card as funding source operate with a range of limitations in place - whether they still apply I don't know.   It used to be that guest payments could only be made to Premier or Business verified accounts.

Will go and have a poke around on paypal site and see if I can find any information.

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

Checkout system problems

Follow up.

Yes under the paypal user agreement (section 9) it appears that the guest checkout facility is only available on Premier and Business accounts.

Paypal also determines which buyers get access to this facility, and also note there may be other limitations applying to the sellers.  It is viewed as a credit facility to the seller so IMO there may be a whole range of non-apparent limitations in play. 

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

Checkout system problems

There also used to be a limit on the number of Guest Payments that could be made through paypal before you were expected to open an account.

Did you notice anything about that Cats?

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

Checkout system problems

yes that was the first thought that came into my mind....

but I think that limit of three times applies to buying on eBay without being a registered member ?

I reckon though that paypal might just have limits in force on buyers as I think they would want buyers as members, even if they don't pay fees - for a whole range of reasons including security

They don't seem to promote their guest checkout availability widely IMO compared to some of their other services like free returns

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

Checkout system problems

When I first joined ebay the limit was 6 payments as a guest but as I already had a paypal account I never used the facility and have never had the need to keep up with the current rules of the guest facility.

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

Checkout system problems

Doesn't paying as a guest refer to the fact that you haven't signed up as a member yet, not that you haven't got a paypal account yet?  The OP is obviously a member and has had no problems paying in the past.

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply