Christmas delays and inevitable losses... advice please :)

Hi Everyone,

I was just curious, how do people suggest sellers handle Christmas post delays?
I post within the one business day rule, but know at Christmas things without a doubt take longer!
Is it best to do a BULK adjustment to listing descriptions, and list something at the top of all listings that you delete later, suggesting there may be longer postage delays than usual around Christmas.

I would like to say it seems like common sense, however, I am learning that a few valuable skillsets can be missing from buyers... common sense, fairness, honesty, reasonableness and so on LOL 🙂

Do you all just leave it, and just answer complaints of items not arriving with "Please wait longer"?

Any wisdom shared would be fab, thanks!

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If it doesn't affect anything that's important to you, I would suggest increasing your handling time, even if you mainain the 1-business day posting. That will adjust the ETA on listings by the extra time, and likely provide a more accurate delivery time frame to buyers - you can adjust handling time in bulk, so just as easy as having a message in listings, but has the added benefit of (supposedly) preventing buyers from opening INR cases too early (the request can be opened one day after eBay's latest ETA). 

My response to INR messages tends to depend on how long it's been since posting, but if it's still early days, rather than just ask them to wait longer, I say something along the lines of "I'd like to give it until XX date, just to allow for any Aus Post processing delays, and if it still hasn't arrived by then, please let me know and I will (all the usual options that I offer)".

That way, they get some assurance that something will be done if the item is more than likely not going to turn up, and by a set date, which helps put them at ease and therefore tends to make waiting a bit longer a little more acceptable. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

If it doesn't affect anything that's important to you, I would suggest increasing your handling time, even if you mainain the 1-business day posting. That will adjust the ETA on listings by the extra time, and likely provide a more accurate delivery time frame to buyers - you can adjust handling time in bulk, so just as easy as having a message in listings, but has the added benefit of (supposedly) preventing buyers from opening INR cases too early (the request can be opened one day after eBay's latest ETA). 

My response to INR messages tends to depend on how long it's been since posting, but if it's still early days, rather than just ask them to wait longer, I say something along the lines of "I'd like to give it until XX date, just to allow for any Aus Post processing delays, and if it still hasn't arrived by then, please let me know and I will (all the usual options that I offer)".

That way, they get some assurance that something will be done if the item is more than likely not going to turn up, and by a set date, which helps put them at ease and therefore tends to make waiting a bit longer a little more acceptable. 

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

You rock... that's all awesome advice.. Close the case  bhahahah

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

Ahhhh.... I would lose my eBay Premium Badge, coz I need same day or one day processing for that...

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

But, for Christmas, that could work...
Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

When I post the item I send the buyer an email advising them that due to the Christmas rush parcels may take longer to arrive than normal to arrive.

Emails can be sent in bulk through the ebay singapore site so it only takes a few minutes each day to let buyers know.

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

Oh.... did not know about the bulk email thing!!! Fancy! Thank you for that valuable share 🙂

That might work, the email to them.

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

That's where we need eBay to help sellers out just a bit - it wouldn't kill them to add an extra day or so to ETAs over the Christmas period, if they genuinely care about providing reasonable expectations. (I can't do the premium service thing myself, so I do have a 2-day handling time set, but I'd switch it to 0 or 1 day in a heartbeat if eBay would get rid of their accursed ETAs, or at least provide a more reasonable time frame). 

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

DG - just look at some of these dates for Christmas delivery that Australia Post have put out - it is quite scary how long parcels take around Australia.

Hopefully this link works

http://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/sites/default/files/landing_pages/AU_Post_Deadline_2014.xlsx

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

OMG Jens!! A month to get to remote Tasmania basically! How insane!
Message 10 of 24
Latest reply