Copied my title listing

Hi,

I was wondering what people think when another seller copies your title listing for their sale. I've had one who's posted a few listings using exactly my title, word for word. It was in fact a cut and past job.

Now I know it's not the same as photo and item description theft but what's everyone's stance on the practice?

Furthermore, the seller initially copied my "Australian Seller" badge and only until recently did they change it. Then again, it may have been copied from someone else's.

Thank you so much.

Jesse

Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Copied my title listing

In the past, I have been very quick to contact other sellers who have copied and pasted my photos or item description or even just used my wording, word for word, but typed it in themselves. Usually, they at least claim to be unaware that this is a 'no-no' and revise their listing pretty smartly, removing any of my material.

Its a bit of a different question, if its just a title of the listing, in my opinion. Its never happened to me but I think it might be a bit difficult to make a case claiming they have appropriated your material. You can try to contact the ebayer in question and ask them to remove it but I suspect that they will deny they copied from you.

Message 2 of 36
Latest reply

Copied my title listing

The copying of a title listing is easily done and not really a breach of policy. If you simply click on your listing and then choose ( sell one like this) ebay does it for you. Plenty have copied mine and I don't really care although I can understand your frustration and annoyance with it. I dont think its fair.

If sellers are taking pictures etc that's a whole different conversation and there have been plenty of previous threads on how this may be breach of copyright. I'm not really sure how that works to provide an informed comment but I am sure plenty of others have an opinion ( correct or incorrect).

Message 3 of 36
Latest reply

Copied my title listing

In fact ebay insist that everyones titles should be the same,hell in all of my listings they are telling me that I need to change the title,the wording, add this and add that.

Hey ebay I will write,add what ever I want that actually describes what I am selling 100% so no need for you to help out I know what I'm doing thanks very much.

Message 4 of 36
Latest reply

Copied my title listing

Someone copied my item condition gradings,  ranging

from mint to poor condition - 5 conditions.

I wish everyone would copy it.   I hate to read  'good considering it's age'

What on earth does that mean?  What's your definition of good?

Message 5 of 36
Latest reply

Copied my title listing

I got one of those 'top tips for selling on eBay' emails this morning telling me I need to add item specifics to X listings (most of them). How many do they want? Most of them have no less than 4 item specifics, majority have 6, 7 even 8. There are no more options! I've described colour, shape, type, weight, material, treatment and if I know it, origin. What gives?! Each time I relist I add more item specifics if I can think of them, yet they still send thos stupid emails (which promptly get deleted).

They also offered suggestions for titles. My titles are OK as far as I'm concerned. I bet someone gets paid a lot of money to send out these ridiculous emails.

Sorry OP for hijacking your thread 😄

Below is a screenshot of one of the items where they were telling me to add more item specifics.....

item-specifics.jpg

Message 6 of 36
Latest reply

Copied my title listing

good for its age- just noticable to determine what it is, lol

Message 7 of 36
Latest reply

Copied my title listing

Here's another one-Update photos increase selling chances by up to 13% My photos are excellent,listings all have bids on them so how did ebay come up with 13% better chance of selling? I have noticed that no matter what amount of listings I have it's always 13% lol
Message 8 of 36
Latest reply

Copied my title listing

I got one today that said to change my title listing.  How would they know what I'm even selling, let alone that the title isn't adequate?

The ones I really hate are the ones telling me to drop my prices so that I have a better chance of selling (probably 13% Smiley Happy), but I've proven again and again that I get more sales by increasing my prices, not decreasing them.  Perhaps the powers that be are mixed up - they think we'll sell more if we decrease our prices, while they increase their fees.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 9 of 36
Latest reply

Copied my title listing

Sorry for getting off track.

Someone sent me a listing a couple of days ago that had my blurb about postage fees & combining postage in it - word for word, and obviously a cut & paste job. It took me HOURS to figure out the right way to word it so I was a bit annoyed, but on my friend's advice I let it go. If they had copied my actual description of the item I would have said something, but they had so much rubbish in their terms that not many people would have read down as far as the bit they'd copied anyway.

I don't know what's in your title but I imagine there'd be a lot of listings with the same titles simply because there aren't many variations for some things. Sometimes we just have to accept that imitation is a form of flattery.
Message 10 of 36
Latest reply