Copied my title listing

Hi,

I was wondering what people think when another seller copies your title listing for their sale. I've had one who's posted a few listings using exactly my title, word for word. It was in fact a cut and past job.

Now I know it's not the same as photo and item description theft but what's everyone's stance on the practice?

Furthermore, the seller initially copied my "Australian Seller" badge and only until recently did they change it. Then again, it may have been copied from someone else's.

Thank you so much.

Jesse

Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Copied my title listing

I've found that upping the price can help things sell. Even just a dollar or 2 seems to help. I wonder if buyers have been watching and then see the price go up and think "ooohhh, I'd better get that before it goes up a again".

I'm hoping I've stopped those wretched top tip emails temporarily. Normally I ignore them, but I decided to click on it tonight. Up the top was this nice little button saying something along the lines of "don't ask again for item specifics". I ticked all the boxes and hit that button and they all disappeared. Of course that will only work until they are relisted again, but it might shut eBay up for awhile.

Message 11 of 36
Latest reply

Copied my title listing

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for all your reply. As it's not a photo/description theft and the title could've been just supplied by eBay's sell something similar, I'll let it slide.

I will keep an eye on the seller though just in case.

Thanks heaps folks.

Jesse

Message 12 of 36
Latest reply

Copied my title listing

just out of interest, what was the title that was copied?  I'm curious as to why you would feel you should have exclusive rights to use "that" exact wording in your 80 character title.  If a seller copied your description word for word then I could understand your angst.  Don't panic, I doubt that anyone here will start using your titles if you let us know which ones this thread is all about.

When I list film cameras my titles are usually "Pentax K1000 film camera with f2 50mm lens + bag, AS NEW" and I don't see why I should expect that nobody else should use this exact title if they are selling the exact same thing.

Message 13 of 36
Latest reply

Copied my title listing

Just thought I'd mention... Images and description are protected by copyright (which is why you can do something about it if someone steals them), titles are not, so you can't do anything about it if someone uses it (unless they are trademarked). 

Message 14 of 36
Latest reply

Copied my title listing

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

just out of interest, what was the title that was copied?  I'm curious as to why you would feel you should have exclusive rights to use "that" exact wording in your 80 character title.  If a seller copied your description word for word then I could understand your angst.  Don't panic, I doubt that anyone here will start using your titles if you let us know which ones this thread is all about.

When I list film cameras my titles are usually "Pentax K1000 film camera with f2 50mm lens + bag, AS NEW" and I don't see why I should expect that nobody else should use this exact title if they are selling the exact same thing.

If you are selling brand new items with multiple quantities available titles being copied is a real problem, particularly if the competitor lists in the same category and undercuts you by a pathetic amount or more....... it doesn't take long for them to take sales away from you. It happens to me frequently and there isn't much you can do but change your title and keep an eye on them.

Photobucket
Message 15 of 36
Latest reply

Copied my title listing

I discovered someone not only copied my title word for word but used my picture as well. I scanned some trading cards not knowing there was some dust and hair on the scanner glass. These imperfections showed on the pictures but I just left it as I wasn't that bothered. Had a look today and some pr&$k has used my scanned pictures including the dust/hair!!!! I have reported it to Ebay and informed another seller, who I think had the same thing done to them aswell. So hopefully the items are removed and they are banned. Do you think I should contact them direct and demand they remove the pictures? or wait for Ebay to act? Any thoughts would be appreciated 🙂

Message 16 of 36
Latest reply

Copied my title listing

I just found out  that I couldn't  report a seller for using my photos, detailed description and title - because my listing had ended (Sold).

When I went through the various menus, the Report Buyer option seems to be  only available for current listings. Is that right? So I just gave the seller a warning.

@digital*ghost wrote:

Just thought I'd mention... Images and description are protected by copyright (which is why you can do something about it if someone steals them), titles are not, so you can't do anything about it if someone uses it (unless they are trademarked). 

Message 17 of 36
Latest reply

Copied my title listing

@pruetrading wrote:

I just found out  that I couldn't  report a seller for using my photos, detailed description and title - because my listing had ended (Sold).

When I went through the various menus, the Report Buyer option seems to be  only available for current listings. Is that right? So I just gave the seller a warning.

I haven't double-checked, but I'm guessing eBay might remove or disable the option to cut down on reports and time spent dealing with them (what little time they do spend on these issues, anyway).

But, a breach of copyright is still a breach, regardless of whether eBay provide the means to report it to them directly (or easily), so in all reality you could still do something about it, even if eBay won't.

Message 18 of 36
Latest reply

Copied my title listing

I've reported other sellers before for using my photos from items that had sold - all were taken down within a couple of hours.

I used the report option in the other sellers' listing and it gives you an option to link it to your own completed listing by putting in the ID number.  It might be a problem if the listing is really old - I think they are deleted from the system after 90 days?  I haven't tried calling / emailing CS for photos theft, but would definitely try.

As a side note, I reported a seller who was using my photos to sell on Gumtree - quick response and removal also, with the added note that "Also we have blocked the photos so that they cannot be used to re-post."  

Message 19 of 36
Latest reply

Copied my title listing

I wouldn't worry if it is just the title that is copied, as long as the description and photos are not yours.

From what i can gather there are a lot of key words that pop up in similar listings anyway, so even if the wording in titles is not exactly the same, people have taken note of good ideas or wording and there is a lot of partial copying going on.

eg How many furniture ads do you see with words like vintage, mid century Eames Parker era in them? Every second ad for older furniture has them in some configuration or other.

So don't be too upset by the title. It is annoying for sure to be copied, but just guard your spiel and photos.

Message 20 of 36
Latest reply