DO I NEED TO PROVIDE ORIGINAL INVOICE FOR AN AUCTION

ama-gal
Community Member
Hi I'm doing my first eBay auction and I have been asked if I have the original receipt.

I do have the original receipt but if I provided it to the prospective buyer wouldn't it defeat the purpose of an auction? Am I required to provide the original receipt? I'm not sure how this eBay auction works lol
Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

no you do not have to provide a receipt or invoice at all.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You are selling an expensive designer item....I think the buyer is just trying to see that the shoes are the real deal and not cheap fakes.

You could put up a photo of the receipt but cover the actual price paid.

That may get you a better price in the long run....if people are reassured that the shoes are the real deal they may bid higher.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Also are you aware if someone puts a bid of 250, the Buy it now disappears and you will be obligated to selling at 250, if no other bids are forthcoming.

Always start an auction at a price you are happy to sell at.

image host

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

no you do not have to provide a receipt or invoice at all.
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You are selling an expensive designer item....I think the buyer is just trying to see that the shoes are the real deal and not cheap fakes.

You could put up a photo of the receipt but cover the actual price paid.

That may get you a better price in the long run....if people are reassured that the shoes are the real deal they may bid higher.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Also are you aware if someone puts a bid of 250, the Buy it now disappears and you will be obligated to selling at 250, if no other bids are forthcoming.

Always start an auction at a price you are happy to sell at.

image host
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

ama-gal
Community Member
Thanks for that. Lyndal1838, now that I think about it I have another question, if I cover up how much I paid then wouldn't the seller assume I'm being dodgy and it's probably a fake. I'll do what you suggest and put the receipt up and cover how much I paid.

I totally understand the buyer wants to know it's legit but I just thought if I told them how much I paid for it, what would be the point to the auction?
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

ama-gal
Community Member
Yes I understand the buy it now rule, it's my first auction so I tried to follow what I saw on eBay. I guess I'll see how it goes.
Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@ama-gal wrote:
Thanks for that. Lyndal1838, now that I think about it I have another question, if I cover up how much I paid then wouldn't the seller assume I'm being dodgy and it's probably a fake. I'll do what you suggest and put the receipt up and cover how much I paid.

I totally understand the buyer wants to know it's legit but I just thought if I told them how much I paid for it, what would be the point to the auction?

These days it is easy enough for a potential buyer to research the retail price of the shoes so I don't know why you would think seeing your receipt would influence the price they are willing to pay.  Buyers will bid what the shoes are worth to them, no matter what you paid for them.   There are plenty of ebayers who have no access to designers shoes or clothing for whatever reason and will bid quite high for them here,

Anyway, if someone suspects they are fake they can report you to ebay and you will have to proivice the receipt to ebay to prove they are not fake.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply