DSR... most unethical system ever?

saarzi
Community Member

So, now I have two strikes for refunds that the buyer put "Item not as described", then went on to describe issues that were CLEARLY in the listing.  No communication from these buyers prior to them opening the case. I refunded them fully, I have no issue with that, but obviously they cant read or they just changed their mind - why should sellers get a defect for this?

AND I have 3 defects for postage TIME - I post same day, every day, and in one case, positive feedback was left before the estimated postage time had expired! If Ebay leaves strikes for this, their logic must be that it is possible to post FASTER than same day??

Ebay wont remove any of them. This type of unethical business behaviour doesnt stand up in courts (I studied coporate law if anyone hadnt guessed yet), yet Ebay gets away with it because the losses are so small (until its too late) that sellers cant be bothered doing anything formal about it.

I spoke to a friend recently that works for a certain gov watchdog. He said, they do not receive enough formal complaints about particular practices in Ebay to pursue them. **bleep**ing online does NOTHING.  If Ebay gives you a strike, which is something that can lead to the permanent closure of your account, for something outside of your control (and you have proof), make a FORMAL COMPLAINT to the ACCC and FO and every other organisation available. They are very quick online forms. Its EASY, but it needs to be done every. single. time.

Meanwhile, how make strikes until an account is closed?? is it when defects hit 5%?  (no where near that, but still, just waiting for it to happen since its completely out of my control).

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

gtx, There is not 1 Seller here, that will disagree with you. The DSR are fundmentally flawed. IMO it's a Mood Moderator. Some Buyers do not know what it means to Sellers. Ebay need to address this immediately, but seem to like it. Watch the small sellers gradually get defected out of ebay. Bang Bang your gone !!!

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

Absolutely disgraceful. I truly feel for you gtx305.

This whole "new" system is creating victims of innocent Sellers & further creating a huge divide between ebay & its customer base.

Ebays' business plan leaves a lot to be desired............perhaps its the lack of one thats the problem lol

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

retail, That is so true. I think it's a deliberate move on their behalf to rid ebay of their "Bread & Butter" Sellers and make way for the Big Boys & Chinese sellers, that will sell by Volume. They will flood this site with so much junk, your head will spin. How come these defects don't seem to bother ebay's cushioned Big sellers when they deserve it ??

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

yes, but its much more than just flawed.

It appears to be a purposeful, systematic way of removing certain sellers.  Its clearly a strategy Ebay has employed to move into their next phase of a master plan (which is a longer term business plan all large businesses have).  It appears they are aiming to be a  brand / label / large business auction house in a few years time.

I dont think its a coincidence they purchased Gumtree, which is aimed at the dynamic they are seemingly trying to remove from Ebay.

If they are, fair enough. But theres more ethical ways of doing it.

I have my account as a test for something else thats in the works  - Im not really here to make money off it. I feel for those who have a small business, or are on benefits trying to make a little more from Ebay, because they are the ones being screwed over. Ebay knows they are also the ones who wont / cant do anything about it - they think they dont have the means because they dont have the knowledge. Some businesses literally bet profit on this. I have worked for (and quit) business who do this. Their employees are almost always not told about these business aims (its kept to the executive), and not educated about this like laws protecting sellers, because the pay off when they dont know is larger. Its risk versus profit.   its disgusting.

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

IMO gtx, it's too late for ebay. They have lost Trust & Integrity Worldwide. The 2 things that a Business relies on most. It's been happening over  period of time.  They are fast becoming a no go area. Just too hard and far too mamy snags for a safe enviroment.

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

Join the boat brother.Smiley Happy

I've got the same problem, with posting i believe that you have to post before the customer buys anything. lol Smiley Tongue

I have complained to ebay every day for the last 5/6 days.

If making an official complaint will help, then i'll do it.

I'll be getting another 2 defects next evaulation because i've had 2 propellers returned because they don't suit the buyers engines, as with you all is explained in my listings but people choose not the read, rather blame me for sending the incorrect part.

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

robinsons, I was going to kudo that, but thought it sounded like I wish that on you. Sorry to hera that. Yep, some people just don't / cant read. That, these days is Dire for the seller. 😞

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

gtx305 wrote:I spoke to a friend recently that works for a certain gov watchdog. He said, they do not receive enough formal complaints about particular practices in Ebay to pursue them. **bleep**ing online does NOTHING.  If Ebay gives you a strike, which is something that can lead to the permanent closure of your account, for something outside of your control (and you have proof), make a FORMAL COMPLAINT to the ACCC and FO and every other organisation available. They are very quick online forms. Its EASY, but it needs to be done every. single. time.

I agree with your friend.

AND we have way tooo many posters encouraging others to try and dodge bullets through giving silly, risky advice or posting stuff like "its their rules ... suck it up".

if every single seller that identifies an issue with unfair trading practices filed a complaint - with clear detail and tangible examples - of misuse of market power, the ACCC would then be compelled to act.

As it is now, the boards frequently serve to hose down irate sellers by mocking and p* poor advice.

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

Meanwhile, how make strikes until an account is closed?? is it when defects hit 5%?  (no where near that, but still, just waiting for it to happen since its completely out of my control).

From what I've read -- on these forums -- eBay will send you a warning once your defect rate exceeds 5% and you will have a certain period (a few weeks?) in which to improve before you are shut down from selling permanently. You are, of course, still able to buy (!).

Interesting comment about those postage time defects. I wonder what would happen if you set your handling (not delivery) time to 10 days and an item arrived in 2.

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply