DSR... most unethical system ever?

saarzi
Community Member

So, now I have two strikes for refunds that the buyer put "Item not as described", then went on to describe issues that were CLEARLY in the listing.  No communication from these buyers prior to them opening the case. I refunded them fully, I have no issue with that, but obviously they cant read or they just changed their mind - why should sellers get a defect for this?

AND I have 3 defects for postage TIME - I post same day, every day, and in one case, positive feedback was left before the estimated postage time had expired! If Ebay leaves strikes for this, their logic must be that it is possible to post FASTER than same day??

Ebay wont remove any of them. This type of unethical business behaviour doesnt stand up in courts (I studied coporate law if anyone hadnt guessed yet), yet Ebay gets away with it because the losses are so small (until its too late) that sellers cant be bothered doing anything formal about it.

I spoke to a friend recently that works for a certain gov watchdog. He said, they do not receive enough formal complaints about particular practices in Ebay to pursue them. **bleep**ing online does NOTHING.  If Ebay gives you a strike, which is something that can lead to the permanent closure of your account, for something outside of your control (and you have proof), make a FORMAL COMPLAINT to the ACCC and FO and every other organisation available. They are very quick online forms. Its EASY, but it needs to be done every. single. time.

Meanwhile, how make strikes until an account is closed?? is it when defects hit 5%?  (no where near that, but still, just waiting for it to happen since its completely out of my control).

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Just a thought -- in regards to postage time defects -- do you send items as parcels? If so, Australia Post now offer free tracking on parcels, and if you upload valid tracking info to eBay within 1 business day of a listing ending, surely that should give you some fire power.

"If we determine at a later date that the seller met certain requirements, we may adjust a low rating for postage time."

Quoted from http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/feedback/detailed-seller-ratings.html

Message 11 of 24
Latest reply

I feel your pain- I've received some pretty poor DSRs based on postage cost, when I was charging exactly the amount for the prepaid satchels! It's not my fault that that's how much Aus Post charges! I didn't even include the cost of bubblewrap or other packaging, and still get scored poorly.

Message 12 of 24
Latest reply

@justajunk wrote:

Just a thought -- in regards to postage time defects -- do you send items as parcels? If so, Australia Post now offer free tracking on parcels, and if you upload valid tracking info to eBay within 1 business day of a listing ending, surely that should give you some fire power.

"If we determine at a later date that the seller met certain requirements, we may adjust a low rating for postage time."

Quoted from http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/feedback/detailed-seller-ratings.html

How many Buyers honesty, would read or even know that section exists ? I would like to see that plastered on the Leave feedback Section. Make the Buyer FULLY aware of how it affects sellers.

Message 13 of 24
Latest reply

@horizon1907 wrote:

How many Buyers honesty, would read or even know that section exists ? I would like to see that plastered on the Leave feedback Section. Make the Buyer FULLY aware of how it affects sellers.

None (or at least none who aren't sellers themselves). The point is, eBay knows that such a section exists, and therefore gtx should be able to quote that section and point out the uploaded tracking numbers to have the Postage Time defects removed.

Message 14 of 24
Latest reply

However, most sellers are also buyers - if they are banned from selling, I wouldn't mind betting they stop buying also.

The Defects system is the STUPIDEST policy ebay has thought up so far. It is absolutely demeaning and degrading to a community of committed, honest small business operators. And if ebay were honest themselves they'd be much quicker to make sure the very few fraudulent operators are stopped in their tracks.

Message 15 of 24
Latest reply

agree!!

and i keep getting "my dvd has not arrived" since november seems they dont get delivered now the new freebay has started

i cant believe how greedy some people are they expect everything free in life 

Message 16 of 24
Latest reply

@pink-budgie wrote:

agree!!

and i keep getting "my dvd has not arrived" since november seems they dont get delivered now the new freebay has started

i cant believe how greedy some people are they expect everything free in life 

So far, touch wood, I've not had any issues with non delivery. I did have a buyer send a message a couple of weeks ago (a message, not a dispute), to tell me her item hadn't arrived yet. I sent a reply asking her to wait another week as there was the Christmas New Year break and items to rural areas in Vic were taking several weeks. I assured her that if it hadn't arrived within the week, I would not hesitate to refund her.

A couple of days later, I got a lovely message saying it had arrived and she was really happy with it. She left glowing feedback and 5 stars for everything. She could have easily said it never arrived, even if it did, because most of my stuff goes large letter with no tracking. It does worry me at times, but so far, so good!!

Message 17 of 24
Latest reply

As far as I understand it when you reach 5% defect rate certain restrictions can be placed on your account - the 21 day holding time in Paypal being one. I think your listings also appear lower in Best Match search and a restriction is put on selling limits.

Message 18 of 24
Latest reply

yes my latest one has just msg me so far and i answered that with the long weekend it should be there very soon now 

but this keeps happening now and i have sold a LOT of dvds over the last few years now since nov its 'were is my dvd" all the time im sorry to say that i am very sus about them now Man Sad

it is not worth selling anymore it is costing me more in blood preasure tablets lol

Message 19 of 24
Latest reply

Hi, I was told to put in my list that due to eBay and PayPal new rules for sellers that they hold all payment money for 21 days posting won't be done till money is released.If you want to get your item on time please pay with bank deposit so I can post straight away.Very sorry but that how it is now thank you. Would I get in trouble for that please let me know thank you Lynette

Message 20 of 24
Latest reply