DSR rating- Item not received

I recently had a buyer who did not receive item (after 1 week from me posting the next business day) Without going into the intricacies his first point of contact was to open an 'Item Not Received' case

I've managed to resolve the issue to his satisfaction (again long story) and he has subsequently closed the case

However I'm now left with a DSR defect How can this be fair when I was given no opportunity to address the issue and wasn't even aware of it prior to it becoming a dispute?

The timing may have been within the delivery window (but I can't say for sure as it was a multiple listing & I can't retrieve the relevant info)

My questiion is -Am I stuck with this defect? Also would there be any point arguing the point with eBay?

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Yes, stuck with defect.

It is in eBay's policy that if an item not received case is opened, the defect stays... even if a refund is given asap. Therefore no point in challenging it.

If case opened by buyer,  isn't resolved by the seller, then the seller gets more black marks... and only a limited amount of cases not resolved by seller, before account restrictions etc.

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

Fight it, you won't win, but still fight it.

I'm fighting a couple myself at the moment. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

eBay Money Back Guarantee

How eBay Money Back Guarantee affects your defect rate (from November 2014)

Buyers can open a "request" if they haven't received an item, or didn't get what they ordered. Sellers are responsible for responding to requests and trying to reach a resolution. Once a request is open, either party can ask eBay to step in and help โ€“ at which point it becomes a "case".

Here's how requests and cases affect your seller performance under eBay Money Back Guarantee:

• An open request is counted as a defect (remember you can only receive one defect per transaction).

• If the buyer closes the request (or it closes automatically), the defect will remain.

• If eBay is asked to step in and help, and the case is decided in your favour, the defect and any related Feedback will be removed.

• If eBay finds the seller responsible, the defect will remain and the case will also be counted as 'closed without seller resolution'.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

Best to try and resolve issue before asking eBay to step in, depending on the case. If it is for an item not received, and seller has tracking number/delivery confirmation then would be worth it having eBay step in, if looks likely case will be solved in sellers favour.  

Cases closed without seller resolution

A case closed without seller resolution means the buyer reported they didn't receive an item, asked to return an item, or opened a PayPal Buyer Protection case, you weren't able to resolve it, the buyer asked us to step in and help (or escalated the case to PayPal for review), and eBay or PayPal found you responsible.

To meet our minimum standards, you can only have 2 transactions (or 0.3% of transactions) resulting in cases closed without seller resolution over the most recent evaluation period. The percentage requirement applies after the account has exceeded the maximum number of occurrences.

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

saarzi
Community Member

Sucks. This happened to me recently.

Giving a seller a defect that adds up to restrict sellers ability to sell, for something outside of their control that they are forced by Ebay to rectify to their own financial disadvantage (while ALSO paying Ebay to list and sell to begin with!) is completely unethical.

Many of Ebays policies disadvantage smaller sellers, I suspect this isnt because Ebay is stupid. In another 5 years itll be an auction house for brand names and large companies.

While sellers are too lazy or uninformed to do anything about it (like make formal complaints to the ACCC, FO etc.) its not going to change.

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:

eBay Money Back Guarantee

How eBay Money Back Guarantee affects your defect rate (from November 2014)

Buyers can open a "request" if they haven't received an item, or didn't get what they ordered. Sellers are responsible for responding to requests and trying to reach a resolution. Once a request is open, either party can ask eBay to step in and help โ€“ at which point it becomes a "case".

Here's how requests and cases affect your seller performance under eBay Money Back Guarantee:

• An open request is counted as a defect (remember you can only receive one defect per transaction).

• If the buyer closes the request (or it closes automatically), the defect will remain.

• If eBay is asked to step in and help, and the case is decided in your favour, the defect and any related Feedback will be removed.

• If eBay finds the seller responsible, the defect will remain and the case will also be counted as 'closed without seller resolution'.

am* I know this topic has been bashed around for quite a while on here now, so your damned if you do & damned if you don't. My question is, why is there "Grey Area" ? Its sole purpose IMO is to defect you off  here if you cannot fight it !

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

I received too many defects just recently for items not received on one of my selling accounts and that account was immediately suspended without any warning,heck I even had items listed with bidders and the whole lot just ended.

I had no chance of even trying to resolve the issue as the buyers went straight for my jugular instead of letting me know that they never received the items.

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

Thanks for all of your replies Certainly is an unjust system that effectively hangs a person without a trial!

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

rocket, I don't think there would be 1 Seller who would disagree with you wholeheartedly !

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply