Difficult buyer

Just a quick one for the "Special List". Had a buyer over the weekend who bought and paid for a brand name item and for Express postage, THEN starts peppering me with emails questioning its authenticity (8 emails from her). I responded that as far as I knew the item was authentic but that if she found it not to be, I would immediately refund.

Over the following torrent of emails - during which time she reminded me that if I was wrong "People could die!' - she sent me  links regarding fake skiwear and tried to get me to provide a personal guarantee. Given that she couldn't even spell "Gore-Tex", I probably would have been safe!

However, I once again explained that although I believed it to be genuine, the only guarantee I could give was that I would refund if she had it proved to be a fake. I also offered repeatedly to cancel the transaction if she was so concerned. Finally, late at night she insisted that she wanted to go ahead with the transaction, so I wrapped the parcel, addressed it, allocated an Express tracking number and put it in the posting pille for the next day.

Upon checking the computer first thing in the morning I find another email asking me to cancel the transaction because her friend said it looks like a fake.

I took a deep breath, sent her a request for mutual cancellation and when she agreed, refunded her money and very promptly added her to my own special list.

I now find she has left me feedback - Positive - saying something along the lines that it all worked out okay in the end.

Not happy - it makes it sound like I tried to pull a swifty but she sorted me out!   Tomorrow I'll be making a phone call to see if I can have it removed, but I thought fellow sellers might like to learn from my experience first.

Happy selling.....

Marina.

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Difficult buyer

So happy for you--had a feeling that buyer might have dinged your stars--it's happened to me over a cancellation. I am very cautious about cancellations now.

Message 11 of 30
Latest reply

Difficult buyer

Way to go, Marina. ALWAYS stand up for yourself.

And I bet your BPM will now be able to have the long weekend in holiday mode.

Message 12 of 30
Latest reply

Difficult buyer

With the utmost respect Cats, I have spent a reasonable part of the afternoon on the phone with my business lawyer (whom I pay).

His professional advice (in writing) is that onus is not on the seller (particularly of second-hand goods) to provide the provenance of every item he or she sells. It is up to the buyer, if they suspect a fake, to provide the proof. Obviously, inherent in this is that I believe the item to be genuine. And if a customer does come up with some sort of certification, their first point of call should be (also according to CHOICE) to  the seller for a refund ( which I would happily provide). And even if I refused, the likliehood of anyone finding a lawyer prepared to take it on are miniscule (I'm referring here to second-hand ski wear). For a start, I could then "pass the lawsuit on" to whomever I bought it from) in good faith, ad infinitum. In the words of my lawyer - "The bloody economy would collapse while the lawsuits were sorted out!" Additionally, if I give someone their money back, the story is over.

I re-iterate, that I only list items I truly believe to be genuine, and have NEVER, in 10 years, been accused of doing otherwise. I refund everyone for ANY reason that they are unhappy eg, "The colour looked different on my monitor, I'm always a size 12 at Target, My son broke his leg and won't be going on the school trip, Her grandma bought her a skisuit already" etc, etc, etc.

But I am not infallible, and there are some very good fakes around. If in doubt, I don't buy the item in the first place.  However the companies looking to prosecute are not looking to sue middle aged women flogging ONE ski jacket that turns out not to be genuine. They are chasing people at markets, or people selling entire ranges of new items purporting to be the real thing. Some of the goods I sell are by companies no longer in business - where would I stand if someone questioned the legitimacy of such an item (skiwear that is often only used for a few days a year can last forever!)

I'm not looking for a bunfight here, but consumer law is nowhere as cut and dried as you seem to be implying - particularly in respect of second-hand goods. As my guy said, the onus is not on the seller to provide the provenance (although you can ask for it), but for the buyer to prove otherwise.

Marina.

Message 13 of 30
Latest reply

Difficult buyer

woot-smiley.gif

youarethewoman.gif

but I have to ask...

Spoiler
the music they made you listen to............ was it any good?

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 14 of 30
Latest reply

Difficult buyer

Marina, sometimes, I really do want to kiss the ground that you walk on, ya know?

I've bought stuff from you in the past and it was absolutely brilliant and far exceeded my expectations. For someone to imply otherwise or to question your integrity is just mean.

Message 15 of 30
Latest reply

Difficult buyer

Middle of the road classical chamber with static - helped keep me fired up and not crying. The supervisor I spoke to was actually very good - tracked through my emails with the lady in question and made me feel like he was on my side.

It certainly pays to be persitent, but having said that, I lost almost an entire day that I wanted to spend doing new  listings. And I spent it in a reasonable state of agitation, listening to not-well broadcast music on speakerphone in case I missed the precise moment when somebody got back to me. There is only a limited number of times that you can hear "Your call is important to us" without going stark raving mad and resorting to strong drink (which I am now doing).

I might suggest to eBay that some good old heavy metal might keep someone like me more amused - and maybe a little mellow with nostalgia.......

Marina.

Message 16 of 30
Latest reply

Difficult buyer

I spent a fair bit of time on the phone with them today myself - and I can't remember the on hold music LOLOLOL so at least you were calm enough to actually realize there was some hahahaha

Message 17 of 30
Latest reply

Difficult buyer

Thank you - am currently in the process of giving the medication a gentle nudge with a cheeky little sauvignon blanc.

Marina

Message 18 of 30
Latest reply

Difficult buyer

You really are too kind Cranky. I'm actually a very timid soul by nature, and dislike confrontation intensly, but I dislike even more being thought of as dishonest. But if you keep being nice, kind and understanding, I shall surely find myself sobbing into my wine.

I'm always much more likely to stand up for myself when people are mean or dismissive!

Happy eBaying,

Marina.

Message 19 of 30
Latest reply

Difficult buyer

@nevillesdaughter wrote:

With the utmost respect Cats, I have spent a reasonable part of the afternoon on the phone with my business lawyer (whom I pay).

His professional advice (in writing) is that onus is not on the seller (particularly of second-hand goods) to provide the provenance of every item he or she sells. It is up to the buyer, if they suspect a fake, to provide the proof. Obviously, inherent in this is that I believe the item to be genuine. And if a customer does come up with some sort of certification, their first point of call should be (also according to CHOICE) to  the seller for a refund ( which I would happily provide). And even if I refused, the likliehood of anyone finding a lawyer prepared to take it on are miniscule (I'm referring here to second-hand ski wear). For a start, I could then "pass the lawsuit on" to whomever I bought it from) in good faith, ad infinitum. In the words of my lawyer - "The bloody economy would collapse while the lawsuits were sorted out!" Additionally, if I give someone their money back, the story is over.

I re-iterate, that I only list items I truly believe to be genuine, and have NEVER, in 10 years, been accused of doing otherwise. I refund everyone for ANY reason that they are unhappy eg, "The colour looked different on my monitor, I'm always a size 12 at Target, My son broke his leg and won't be going on the school trip, Her grandma bought her a skisuit already" etc, etc, etc.

But I am not infallible, and there are some very good fakes around. If in doubt, I don't buy the item in the first place.  However the companies looking to prosecute are not looking to sue middle aged women flogging ONE ski jacket that turns out not to be genuine. They are chasing people at markets, or people selling entire ranges of new items purporting to be the real thing. Some of the goods I sell are by companies no longer in business - where would I stand if someone questioned the legitimacy of such an item (skiwear that is often only used for a few days a year can last forever!)

I'm not looking for a bunfight here, but consumer law is nowhere as cut and dried as you seem to be implying - particularly in respect of second-hand goods. As my guy said, the onus is not on the seller to provide the provenance (although you can ask for it), but for the buyer to prove otherwise.

Marina.

eBay has time and again, issued account restrictions because a buyer opens a paypal claim on the basis of goods being a knock off - if you are unable to prove it was not - it leaves your business very exposed to being shut down due to a single disgruntled buyer if you can not with certainity demonstrate your goods are the real deal, 

Remember eBay has been issued (and fought)  with multi million dollar fines in the past, so a sellers activities exposes it to risks that it doesn't need to prove to shut your operations down.

Whilst consumer law may have some grey areas, I think I can also safely say that those corporations that hold trademark and brand rights to goods being sold with their label - whether new or second hand - are also not so grey when it comes to a whisper that goods being sold by may be copies.  I personally would never want to fight that kind of battle.

In addition, please don't take the comments so personally, I don't seek a "bun fight" as you put it. 

I am putting forward my opinion on the very high risks that may apply if you are not certain, and cannot prove, that the goods you sell are the real deal.  My advice is actually very consistent IMO with that given to many other posters overtime by many regulars, including some that have posted in this thread.

Message 20 of 30
Latest reply