Do buyers like detailed descriptions ?

one of the things i've tried to do to deviate myself from other sellers is to write description that features information other than the condition of the item. I mainly sell video games , video game accessories  ,DVDs , Blu- rays or basically anything that relates to POP culture so i tend to write about the history or trivia about the item as a means of having a more well rounded description and to appear as someone who either knows what they're selling or has done some research on it 

my question is do buyers like details other any the condition ? i ask this because some of my auctions tend to end at a lower sale price compared to other sellers who have sold the same product using a description that is only a few sentences long .

Altough this really is'nt a problem for my fixed price listings , i'm curious has to why i keep experiencing this and wether or not i should write more simpler and structured descriptions from now on 

any kind of response would be much appreciated 

Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I think it probably doesn't make much difference, adding more stuff in the description apart from the essentials for the type of items you sell.

Buyers may be purchasing , for example, a specific DVD and they already know what they are looking for.

Are your postage prices competitive?

Some buyers might want the DVD, game etc as soon as possible so will pay a bit more for a BUY IT NOW, rather than put a bid in on an auction and have to wait days before it ends., then postage time.

Are most of the items sold in those catergories Buy it nows instead of auctions?

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Everyone is different. Some like the details, many prefer concise brief information. I tried to read your listings but its late, I,m tired & grumpy and it was just too much work, so I just scanned some of it.

The large print means a lot of scrolling is required to see everything. I dont know how this would go on a mobile, which many of your buyers would use, but I suspect it would be pretty hard to read.

I sometimes give a couple of sentences to a background story if it interesting. Most of the time I just keep things fairly brief, neatly spaced, virtually no terms or conditions ( ebay over-rule most things anyway ), brief but accurate description and lots of photos.

I do all of this in standard size font with CAPS for headings such as condition, postage, payment terms etc. ( not very trendy I know and may not be the best for your customers )

This works for me, but your buyers are younger and may like the funkier, coloured writing etc.

Personally I would check your own listing on a mobile and tablet and maybe trim it down a bit or a lot ( particularly the terms and conditions ) and reduce font size to make it more mobile & tablet, user friendly if this is a problem.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

I used to think the more information the better BUT now with so many claiming item not as described if you are giving too much info that's all the easier for the buyer to claim against it. My approach is KISS now. Keep it simple stoopid.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

I think the simpler the better and just details on the item itself would be best, or at least keep the rest clearly seperated.

It is possible to get done for keyword spamming within a listing description (but I think that is just really for advertising totally different listings).

Also search engines may pick up your history and trivia data and when someone (not actually wanting to buy) clicks into it and doesn't purchase it may de-rank the listing in ebay.

I hate it when I go to listings and they have so much information and terms and everything else. The simpler the better I prefer anyway.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

I think ifyou got rid of some the spaces between lines, it would be easier to read.  You can reduce the font too .... around Arial 12 is a good size on this system  or 14 at the most ... any larger is too big, makes it harder to read.

Bring your information into paragraphs.  Put what you are actually selling in block or larger font at the top of the description.

And group your paragraphs in single line spacing with double spaces between paragraphs.

The information is fine, just make it easier to define what is important, and what is extra information.

That's what I think anyway, but everyone is different.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

I would advise getting rid of the underscores between words in the titles - eBay-search-engine-wise, special characters are pretty much as good as blank spaces, google's not keen on them, though, and can often treat words separated only by characters as one long word. (I also have to add that it's a little off-putting aesthetically. That's just me, though Smiley Embarassed - not to nit pick, either, but 'Ball' is misspelled in the DBZ Cell Saga title, so might want to fix that to make sure you're picked up in searches). 

As far as descriptions go, when it comes to media there are only two types of buyers - those who have seen / heard / read / etc what they're looking at and are really only interested in condition & price, and those who haven't seen what they're interested in buying - condition and price would still be of primary import, but a little extra info might help.

That can be really simple though - take movies and CDs, for example, a simple description template could be something like this:

Title

Contents

Casing

Condition

Special Features

Haven't seen it? Recommended if you like XXXXX

So, translate that to the Invader Zim box set (one of my all-time favourite shows, BTW - the full series is also sometimes titled 'Complete Invasion')

Invader Zim, Complete Invasion / Series DVD Set in Collector's Tin

6 discs housed in a collector's edition tin, plus 3 limited postcards featuring  the main characters of the show. (Clarify condition of tin / discs, mention if there is any visible wear or not).

Once that's out of the way, you can then mention any of the other stuff you want to. eg You need this DVD set, you need it or you will explode (I bet that happens to you sometimes). Smiley LOL

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply