Do you get a final value fee credit if you refund an item but not the shipping costs?

I offer a return policy where I am happy to exchange or refund on my items but it is the buyers responsiblitly to cover postage costs.

If I have an item returned (usually becuase it was an iincorrect size) I refund the buyer for the item but not the shipping cost. It is agreed upon from the outset.

I was once able to go into the resolution centre and cancel an item for the reason of "buyer returned item and a refund was issued"and I would receive a FVF credit back to my account, now if I cancel the transaction on my end. The order shows up as the buyer has not been refunded because the shipping costs have not been refunded, usually $7.70 in the case of an item posted in Australia

So it seems as though I either have to refund the postage costs to receive a FVF credit from ebAy

Even when I have given the buyer a refund for their item, it doesn't register with ebay and no FVF is creditted because the shipping costs remail outstanding.

What's the point of having a return policy then? Ebay collect FVF on that same item when it resells.

How do I claim a FVF for something that I have refunded a buyer for is my long winded question?

Message 1 of 2
Latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Do you get a final value fee credit if you refund an item but not the shipping costs?

I don't think you get a FVF credit purely for refunding. I think you actually have to cancel the transaction. Ask your buyer if they will accept a cancellation request and use the Buyer Changed Mind option (less chance of defect for that). The other option is, the refund the buyer minus the FVF's.

You could also try ringing eBay and explaining that you'd refunded for change of mind and ask for a FVF credit, but I think you'd be wasting your time.

Message 2 of 2
Latest reply