EBay estimates on delivery

I am getting really annoyed in finding reports that state my deliveries are late in arriving to buyer.  I have spoken to eBay about this previously and get the same answer, it is automated because of eBay estimated delivery.  I know in the end it does not mean much, I know I am doing the right thing in posting quickly.

I have in all listings 3 business days handling, but always post same day as payment received, or next day if payment made at night, at no time do I sit on a parcel, yet eBay find it upon themselves to report my parcels as being delivered late.  Do they not understand that once posted it is out of sellers hands, even express post now takes longer.  Don't know if this has happened to any other sellers.  

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Ebay and really well and truly in the land of fairies cupcakes and rainbows when it comes to 'estimated delivery' and SO many buyers take it as 100% accurate ,in that ebay can do no wrong and know exactly how long these things take Robot Mad

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

Sadly, most buyers don't understand what the word estimate means. To them, estimate means "it.will.be.delivered.on.or.before.this.date". I blew my handling time out to 5 days and still post same or next day and so far have not had any problems (yet!). I'm surprised I've had no problems because there are a few tracking numbers showing as not delivered, but I know the buyer has got their parcel.

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

I know, you've only got to look at the number of posts from countless people saying 'they (the seller) said it will be delivered to me by

and in 99% of cases, the 'seller' has said nothing of the sort, it is ebay's 'estimates' they are basing their they said it would be delivered by now' on

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

If you're sending parcels, post them over the counter and get a lodgement scan (and receipt). If that is within your stated handling time, you will not get defects.

If sending letters, maybe message the buyer letting them know that eBay estimates are notorious for being wrong.

Here's one somebody posted a while ago -

G'day <buyers first name>,

Thank you for your very prompt payment. I posted your item this afternoon. Aust Post has been a bit slow lately getting items to <your state>, so your item may take longer to arrive than the estimate that eBay puts in the listing. It may well arrive quickly, but just letting you know that it could take longer than the estimate. The question you get asked about delivery time when you are leaving feedback is not a survey. eBay now automatically defect sellers if the answer is 'No'.

If you have any issues whatsoever, please don't hesitate to contact me by replying to this message, or selecting the "ask about using my item or ask seller a question" option, before leaving feedback. Thank you for buying from me!

Cheers,

If you get too many defects, eBay WILL restrict you or shut you down, so best to take away the opportunity as far as possible.

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

@once_truly_loved wrote:

I know in the end it does not mean much, I know I am doing the right thing in posting quickly.

It actually does mean a heck of a lot.  If you are receiving defects for late delivery then you could find your selling privileges severely curtailed or you could be shut down completely by ebay.  No matter how much you argue they will not change their minds.

As someone else said.....make sure you get proof of lodgement by posting over the counter.  This is the only way to avoid defects if you can prove you have posted within your handling time.

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

We have a 3-day handling time and post the majority of our stuff by large letter untracked.

We have only a single late delivery defect on each of our accounts and this was becasue AP lost the items.

If you are using tracked parcels lodge over the counter, as had been suggested above. If the lodgement scan is within your handling time you will not get the defects or they will be easily removed by ebay if you do get them.

We mailed a large letter into our local red street box on Tuesday afternoon, with a priority sticker on the front. It was travelling from Brisbane to southern suburbs of Perth. The buyer messaged us today to say it had arrived. Less than 48-hours after we sent it.

That is actually faster than express as that particular postcode is outside the express network. Sometimes (rare) AP get it right.

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

@orestes2004 wrote:

First step is to go into your shipping and make sure that you've turned off allowing the seller to adjust the final shipping costs, the next step is to use express post. The final step is to sit back and watch. No more complaints, items arrive on or before the due date, and everyone wins.

Using Express shipping is only going to solve the problem if both buyer and seller are in the Express postage zone.

It is pretty silly to charge all buyers for Express if it is of no benefit to them.

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

orestes, How much did the iphone 4 cost to send express that you sold ?

image host
Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

Express is an airmail service.

How did you manage to sign the Dangerous Goods disclaimer to use Express for a phone when it is illegal to send a moblie phone by air.

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply