Ebay System error when printing postage label

Sellers take note of a system error when purchasing and printing ebay postage labels for Australia Post. Can turn into a costly thing, as did happen to me. So here is what happenned:

1) Buyer purchased item

2) Sends email saying address is old, so request to update address.

3) I view order details, enter and update address.

4) Next day, I purhcase and print postage label, and off goes the parcel via post office.

5) A day later, to my horror, I realize that the postage label was printed for old address. So the package went to the old address.

6) I check order details and it clearly shows new updated address. But the postage labels will always print out the original address, and never the updated address!

Needless to say, I now await for some honest soul at that address to return the item. Otherwise, bye bye $100. 

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

cq_tech
Community Member
I'd be inclined to send a letter to The Homeowner at that address, explaining the situation and asking if they would be so kind as to send the item back to you if you provide the postage for them to do so. Did you have a return address on your item? Most people are a bit lazy and it's probably just sitting there waiting for you to get in touch with the person who lives at that address. At worst, it'll cost you a stamp, but at best, you'll get your item back and recover your $100.
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

The ebay label will always show the address as it was in checkout and if they paid with Paypal it will be the address showing in there as well so should be the address you post to.

I would have been extra careful about checking the address on the label before printing, even if you were not worried about Paypal seller protection you at least would have had a chance the buyer would be happy if it showed the revised address.

If they tell you some other address after completing chackout then you should refund and tell them to go through checkout again changing the address there before maling payment.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

If they tell you some other address after completing chackout then you should refund and tell them to go through checkout again changing the address there before maling payment.

I have two defects for doing this.Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

We just use the revised address as since we use large letters for the vast majority of our stuff we have no seller protection anyway.

So keeps the buyer happy.

So far doing this nothing has gone wrong. Not that it happens very often.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Ring Australia Post and see if they can contact the local post office, hopefully the item will be carded to the homeowners, that way AP can return to sender. I sent the wrong item to a buyer and contacted AP and that is what they told me. They can also log it as an enquiry and give you a reference number.
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Good news for me that now the tracking shows item is on its way back to me.

Not sure if it is the recepient who refused it or is the result of all the telephone calls I made. But I will send a thank you note to recepient.

And some good suggestions here in the forum so thank you all. Though people here clearly refrained from criticizing ebay. and I have always wondered how many posters here are ebay help support people rather than  genuine users.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Glad to hear your parcel is on its way back to you. Incidentally, I can pretty much guarantee that there are no eBay support staff using these boards although there are certainly quite a few eBay apologists posting here, judging by some of the responses I've seen. However, it's gratifying to note that they're dramatically outnumbered by by the critics.
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply