Ebay & Sotherby's partnership.

Just got a notification through my Email, that Ebay & Sotherby's are starting a Partnership. They are hoping this will allow High End Art, Antiques & the like to be viewed by both Audiences. I wonder how this will work with fees etc. 

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

iamanark
Community Member

Article in today’s Sydney Morning Herald

Up to 30 per cent of the artworks offered in the Australian art market could be forgeries, the Supreme Court has been told in a case that threatens to lift the lid on dubious practices in the art world.

Read more:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/supreme-court-fraud-case-reveals-corruption-in-art-market-20140721-zv...

And they think that people would buy art worth 1000s on ebay

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

With eBay's reputation going further downhill every day, I'm surprised that Sotheby's would even consider risking their own excellent reputation by associating themselves with such an incompetent company as eBay.
Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

.. now you get to see yet another example that ebay best match works by tilting the playfield in favour of insiders thus robbing/stealing/pilfering/screwing-over the rabble ..

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

where is ebays reputation going down everyday? that's just your perception not everyone's. This is still a viable platform to sell on and most people are happy here.
Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

I wouldnt say most people are happy I'd say most people are coping and have few alternatives to choose from but ebays reputation is definately getting worse and incompetent is just one of many words alot of us would use to describe them.

Sotherbys has reputation for being very professional upmarket high end auction house and ebay is quite the opposite to that.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

I'm happy here. I'm paying far less in fees than what I was paying at the (now closed) local Sunday markets, where I was selling nothing, and paying a p00fteenth of what it would cost to run ads in the local paper. That said, this is a hobby for me, not my main source of income.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

really who says ebay's reputation is getting worse? a few disgruntled sellers on the forums? what about the millions and millions of ebay sellers around the world, they must all be happy otherwise they would move on.
Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

You're deluding yourself if you believe it's only a few disgruntled sellers who are upset with eBay.

Have a read of what people really think... http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/letters/blog.pl?/pl/2014/7/1405876742.html
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Squeaky wheels?

I tend to agree with harley. People normally only resort to the keyboard when they have an issue.

If the total number of members complaining (on any forum, and who knows how many multiple IDs are complaining) is not a significant % of total membership, then the ones who are could reasonably be considered to be a 'few'. In context.

For example - there might be 100 odd complaining on these boards, but I suspect there are a least 1,000,000 eBay Australia sellers, so 100 = 0.01%, or 1 in 10,000 or 100 in a million. Even if you factor in the '3% of members use the boards' consensus that ups it to 0.33%. Statistically irrelevant.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply