Ebay's Refund System is just a joke!

I agree to refund a buyer for a claimed faulty item - $165 in total.

I supply the return address.

They then decide to use Ebays 'Return System'.

I am prepared to refund the return postage costs after I receive the item, not before.

Ebay tell me today that if I don't facilitate the return in the next 5 days they will find in the buyers favour with no need to return the item.

Is this legal?

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

I don't think it is.

What proof have you had from the customer that the item is faulty? Is it a sale within Australia? I don't think ebay should be refunding anyone on a sellers behalf before an item is returned. Does it say that in the ebay policy? And what happens if nothing is returned?

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

@dylan11235813 wrote:

I don't think it is.

What proof have you had from the customer that the item is faulty? Is it a sale within Australia? I don't think ebay should be refunding anyone on a sellers behalf before an item is returned. Does it say that in the ebay policy? And what happens if nothing is returned?

Ebay don't care if the item is faulty or not, the buyer says it is then in Ebay's eyes it must be.

The seller will also get a defect, that how sad the system is.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

What do they mean by  "if I don't facilitate the return in the next 5 days", by what you say you already have....

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

The listing shows photos of the item working -  buyer states it doesn't turn on.

Sale was within Australia.

I can't see how they can force me to refund before I get the item back.

I supplied the buyer the return postage address 3 days before they invlolved Ebay.

If they require sellers to pay all return postage costs then why have the option when listing to tick the box for  'Buyer pays return postage' - makes no sense.

This is a direct quote from their email:

"At this point, I have now decided to place the case on 5-day hold for you to facilitate return by:

1. Offering a pre-paid postage label (e.g. your own courier or via Click & Send, OR
  2. Asking the buyer to pay for the return cost (agreeing on the cost in advance) and refunding the return postage cost when you receive the item back. 

Kindly let us know if you choose to facilitate return for this transaction. Please note that the case will be decided on the buyer's favour without return needed if it won't be facilitated within 5 days"

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

No its not legal.You try and get a refund from a store without the item and what would happen then?

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

By that I take it ebay have decided that the item is faulty without any proof at all, just the buyer saying it is faulty.

Isn't number 2 what you wanted (for the case)? for the buyer to pay to return the item and then refund. Ebay are basically saying that if you don't except a return then you lose your item and money.

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

I am confused ?

You indicate in your OP you agreed to the return.

As Dylan noted eBay are giving you the option to reimburse the post cost after receiving the goods.

What is the issue?

If you want to contest that an item is not as described, then the time to start that process is prior to agreeing to accept a return.

Edited to note that in no way do I think that eBay should allowing this buyer to keep goods and get a refund.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

I agreed to refund the buyer upon return

Buyer then opened a return dispute through Ebay -  I told them I had already agreed to refund & they should return the item.

Buyer asked for a postage label but I told them to return item & I will reimburse postage after return

They then escalated the claim & I no longer have the refund option upon return & must rely on Ebay to enforce this option.

Ebay indicate that they will refund with no return if I don't facilitate the return process.

By agreeing with the refund in the first place & giving them the return address I would have thought was enough.

How do I force the buyer to return the item now when Ebay are going to give it to them anyway?

The whole process was already simple "Return the item for a refund" why the need for all this rubbish.

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

I am currently on the reverse side of this situation. (But not this transaction or seller) From my perspective I have placed my trust in the seller already by purchasing the goods unseen apart from some pics and a description. Now that I have received the goods and they fall well short of the description or have been damaged in transit or dont do what they were purchased for and described as doing I want to return them. I correspond with the seller and they hedge on the refund/return postage/tracking or no tracking ect ect ect. I now have a complete loss of faith, goods I cannot use and I am out of pocket. Dont you think the buyer should now be extended the same trust from the seller as he has already extended to the seller in this transaction???????? is the seller the only honest person in the world and is everyone else a crook??? I dont think so.The seller has had his or her chance to impress and for what ever reason has failed. Send a postage label or do a refund with the return postage added to the invoice. Show faith in those who show faith in you.

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply