Ebay search engine

My items are appeareing in the search  on 4th page or further down. Does any one know that why its happening and how can I improve my search key words.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Ebay search engine

Personally I am reasonably happy if I see my items in the first five pages of a search,  with the many millions of items available on eBay, making it to the first 200 or so is pretty good really.  Especially in the beauty category (I surmise that is the category you are selling in from your name, I haven't actually looked).

Cheers,

Penny
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Ebay search engine

Well I thought your titles look OK as they are.

The only minor thing I can suggest is to take out (reduce) all the special characters you have embedded in there like

+, / , (commas), " (inch) and the like

My reasoning for that is that I don't think searchers will put these into their search terms. So its wasted space to include them in here.

Just put in here the specific keywords you think searchers will likely use to locate your products and make sure you use up all the available 80 characters.

I would even go so far as to perhaps use Google Keyword Planner (part of Adwords) to look for popular keywords in your particular category.

I don't think there is any magic formula to manipulating Ebay seacrh engine.

If you have lotsa Chinese sellers flooding your category (as we do) then there is very little you can do about that. The only competition you can offer above them is quality product, much faster postage time and quick/reponsive customer support. We have a number of our return customers tell us that they prefer to give their business to the Aussie sellers.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Ebay search engine

Only if ebay could fit a million items on the first page.

Someone has to be first and someone has to be last.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Ebay search engine

Thanks Clarry100 for your support and detailed answer. It is very informative. My products specially hairdressing scissors used to appear on the first 3 pages and then from some time they are back and forth. Some times not even in First 10 pages.

Also I have noticed that when your products are not appearing on the first 5 pages, you not get much sales as well. I'm not very experienced seller on ebay, thus would welcome any usefull sugestions in relation to improve my sales.

Cheers

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Ebay search engine

@clarry100 wrote:

The only minor thing I can suggest is to take out (reduce) all the special characters you have embedded in there like

+, / , (commas), " (inch) and the like

My reasoning for that is that I don't think searchers will put these into their search terms. So its wasted space to include them in here.

eBay's search engine actually treats punctuation and special characters as blank spaces, for the most part. eg if you type " scissors, you will get exactly the same number of results as when you just type scissors (i.e. the " to represent inches is completely discounted, and all listings with scissors in the title are returned). Same goes for the full stop, which makes searching for x.x anything a bit difficult at times. 

OP, I don't really know enough about your products to offer any specific advice, but I did wonder what the difference (and/or benefit) was between Japanese steel scissors and steel from elsewhere. I presume it's a craftmanship / quality difference rather than a material difference, and your target market probably knows and understands, but I was curious and didn't see anything in your listings that advised the advantages of the material, so it could be worth including as an extra selling point, and in titles wherever applicable and possible. 

Also not really related to improving rankings as such, but the note about buyers needing a valid PayPal account to purchase may turn a few buyers away, but anyone can checkout with PayPal as a guest user, and as far as I know, there's no setting to block payments from buyers who don't have PayPal accounts (you can block unverified eBay members, if you want to, though - unverified means they haven't confirmed their identity via phone verification, or don't have a credit/debit card or PayPal account linked to their eBay account). 

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply