Expected delivery times

Just a quick question about postage times.  There has been advise on these boards to extend your own handling time so that if you do send it next day, you get a bit more time for it to arrive if AP are a bit delayed.  This is useful as the buyer cannot open a INR case until after the estimated delivery date.  

My questions is, if I sell an item with 4 day handling, but I post it the next day on payment using ebay labelling, does ebay adjust the estimated delivery time to a shorter time frame anyway because of my speedy service?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Expected delivery times

@black*poppy wrote:

Just a quick question about postage times.  There has been advise on these boards to extend your own handling time so that if you do send it next day, you get a bit more time for it to arrive if AP are a bit delayed.  This is useful as the buyer cannot open a INR case until after the estimated delivery date.  

My questions is, if I sell an item with 4 day handling, but I post it the next day on payment using ebay labelling, does ebay adjust the estimated delivery time to a shorter time frame anyway because of my speedy service?

Oh you did have to ask a hard one.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Expected delivery times

@black*poppy wrote:

In effect, not as far as I'm aware - the ETA at the time of purchase should remain. That isn't set in stone, of course (being eBay and the fact that I'm making a semi-educated guess).

There might be a way to test it, though - the ETA of an item is displayed in the purchase history on eBay.com - if I (or anyone else wiling to double check) have an applicable transaction (i.e. the seller ships earlier than the final day of their handling time) it should be easy to see if the ETA date changes. 

I actually suspect it doesn't fluctuate, but remains as is at the time of purchase, primarily because the ETA would also then have to change if the seller has a 1 day handling time but takes 3 days to post, and I assume eBay will want buyers to be able to send INR queries when the original expected date has passed. (Edit: and also probably because they'd be aware that marking as shipped or processing a label doesn't necessarily mean the item is with the postal service). 

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Expected delivery times

I think eBay's estimated delivery time is based on the payment date + handling time + Aus Post's estimated delivery days.

We have a 2 day handling on listings but items are posted same day or next day. Here's the info from the order details on a recent sale.

eBay's postage dates also seem to be out (maybe they're on US time) as this parcel shows as Delivered 23/10 on Aus Post's site.

snip2410.JPG

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Expected delivery times

I am pretty sure printing post by eBay labels does not reduce the estimated delivery date.  

For example,  I have 3 day handling time now in place (reduced from one day)

My current listings show that for Victorian buyers the estimated post delivery time that shows is Oct 30 or Oct 31 by regular post.

I sold a dress yesterday and posted today, and the order form for this sale shows the estimated delivery as Oct 31 - with no reduction of the original post time shown in the listing when purchased, even though I sent 2 business days ahead of time.

New Picture.jpg

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Expected delivery times

OMG I never saw that page before.  I've been flicking through the original listing / purchase history on my buying account and can't get any dates on the listing pages for ended items.  Found it through Order Details, what a dummy.

Yeah, it looks like the system doesn't update through ebay labelling.  Thanks so much to all who replied.

On a side note, also confirms that I will change my handling time too - I just checked an item and it was delivered to WA a day after the estimated delivery time, so that breathing space will be EXTRA important! Was ok this time, phew!

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Expected delivery times

I've just received an email update for an item I purchased on another site. It was marked as Out of Stock at the time of purchase so I knew it would be a while before I received it. At least they have allowed plenty of time for any possible delays.   🙂

Your new estimated delivery date is:
Monday, December 8, 2014 - Wednesday, December 24, 2014

And here we have to worry about 1 or 2 days difference in our expected delivery dates to try and avoid eBay defects and refunds.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Expected delivery times

Just changed from 1 day to 5 days handling time to extend expected arrival time and delay INR request being opened.

Thanks for the heads up.

By the way - Premium Badging has been lost but it really wasn't doing anything.

Best wishes

Robert

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Expected delivery times

Hi Poppy, we have always had 4 days handling. When the new requirements or incentives came in it was hard to decide what to do to get premium seller status but as we also had to have the other functions like express and free post we decided to stay put. 

We post Mon,Wed,& Fridays. So this programme usually ends up that we post the next day after payment, and often will include items bought and paid for that morning,  so items leave us well within the 4 days, buyer gets their item earlier than expected, and we don't have to stress. ( Of course if there is a request for express we will do). 

Also probably helps with delivery to locations like WA. May not work for everyone, but works for us. Cheers

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Expected delivery times

eBay should keep their Beak out of delivery times! They DO NOT provide the service!............................Yet

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply