Community Member

Fake PayPal phishing emails.

You sent a payment of $79.3 AUD to eBay International AG (AU-AdCommerce-EOM@ebay.com)

Is it my imagination or do these con artist emails seem to arrive close to receiving genuine PayPal emails ?

The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad.
Community Member

Re: Fake PayPal phishing emails.

in reply to termalert

I dunno termalert, but they seem to come in batches, that's for sure.

I guess it only takes a very small percentage to click on the links and they've hit paydirt!

Is it worth repeating the golden rule??

Never ever click on a link in an email supposedly coming from paypal or ebay - check by logging in DIRECTLY to your account!

Community Member

in reply to termalert

Yes...one of those silly people was ME...lol

Years ago.

Luckily my account didn't have much in it so

when the light bulb went off I scurried back and changed password.

I often wonder how many people have also had a 'key stroke logger' on board. This would mean password changes wouldn't do the trick.

In these times I always hover over the link to see where it is 'really' going.

The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad.
Community Member

in reply to termalert

In these times I always hover over the link to see where it is 'really' going.

I don't even bother doing that.  I just forward the email to spoof@paypal.com.au

Wouldn't want to even accidently click the link while hovering.

in reply to termalert
What happens if you click the link?????
Community Member

in reply to termalert

What happens if you click the link?????

You will be taken to a fake but very realistic looking Paypal sign in page and once you input the details the scammers have access to your Paypal account.

they will probably also try and log into your ebay account and if you are like many people and have the same password they will have control of that too.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Community Member

in reply to termalert

I would be suspicious automatically of an email purportedly from PAYPAL that was from EBAY by the header/link.

C'mon, this is so amateur.

Paypal and eBay are separate entities, legally and practically.

Community Member

in reply to termalert

I too was foolish and clicked on the 'cancel transaction' link. I didn't have to enter my bank details or anything. A day later, my debit card got hacked. TWICE. Well, twice succesffuly. THey tried to take out over $170 in one transaction, and my bank wised up. THey placed a hold on my debit card, alerted me to possible fraud, and when I confirmed that the transactions had been fraudulet, they stopped my debit card, issued a new one, and now I'm in the process of getting my money back,. God bless you, Westpac!        

Community Member

in reply to termalert

i had a guy try and get me with one of these lastnight, going by the name mark anderson, first said he was buying my item then said he would make the payment straight away throu paypal but then said he would deposit extra so i could pay for shipping costs for him but to do that id have to pay by western union (first major warning sign) and then i had a very convincing email that appeared to be from paypal until i put my mouse over the name in the senders box and surprise surprise it looked like this ..

service@paypal.com.au®

customershelpdesk@secureroot.com

anyone with some form of curiosity would do the logical thing and look up what secureroot.com is... turns out its an information and resourse page for hackers and scammers. so i quite pleasanly told him to place his head inside his anus and get a real job

Community Member

in reply to termalert

he said he deposited the money but that paypal wouldnt let the payment go through until i supplyed the money transfer num (this is also what was written in the fake paypal email)

Community Member

in reply to termalert

I got one of these yesterday.Unfortunately for the scammer their skills at producing one of these emails was pathetic.

Delete

Dave

Community Member

in reply to termalert

lenny, lenny, lenny. . the mere fact that you are in correspondence with this scammer is enough to put your a/cs in jeopardy... be v.v.v.careful, change yr passwords, do a good virus clean on your computer.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Community Member

in reply to termalert
Thanks so much for posting this I had the same guy moments ago it all seems pretty legit but there was just something wrong with the whole scenario
Community Member

in reply to termalert

lesson 1 - Never, ever, ever, ever post a live link to a suspected phisher/scammer to the boards. Some people will probably click it.

Please don't be offended, but I have reported your post and it will probably disappear.

Community Member

in reply to davewil1964

Oh Dave, what a meanie you are....reporting the thread on it's SECOND birthday.Smiley LOL

Community Member

in reply to lennylenny87

hey lenny,

ive had exactly the same thing as you from a guy supposedly called Johnathan King. Only thing is that he has taken it the next step further and has sent me a scam email supposedly reporting me to the police as he is adamant he has made the payment. My paypal account is completely empty so i know its not true anyway.

the use of poor english in the emails and the layout and workdings/links etc were so all ovbisouly scam. i've change a couple of my passwords. But any suggestions what i do in the way of stopping this guy from contacting me? ive even said the item is no longer available and told him i havent recieved the funds but he still continues to contact me and send the scam metrepolotan police legal notices etc.

Community Member

in reply to termalert
Never reply to stuff like this. The minute you do they know your lights are on and you will be bombard non stop by them. I would suggest cancelling your old email address and opening a new one and associating the new one with your PayPal accounts.
Community Member

in reply to srid4108

srid4108 wrote:

hey lenny,

ive had exactly the same thing as you from a guy supposedly called Johnathan King. Only thing is that he has taken it the next step further and has sent me a scam email supposedly reporting me to the police as he is adamant he has made the payment. My paypal account is completely empty so i know its not true anyway.

the use of poor english in the emails and the layout and workdings/links etc were so all ovbisouly scam. i've change a couple of my passwords. But any suggestions what i do in the way of stopping this guy from contacting me? ive even said the item is no longer available and told him i havent recieved the funds but he still continues to contact me and send the scam metrepolotan police legal notices etc.

Put him on your blocked bidder list and then go to post 4 on this thread to block them:

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/If-a-buyer-has-been-put-on-the-blocked-bidders-list-can-they...

If it's to your private Email address then just block them or use another message rule so the Email doesn't

get to your in box.

Community Member

in reply to go-tazz

3 YEARS now.

RIP, please.

Community Member

in reply to termalert
I have had two of those recently. I just delete them. Never ever click on anything in those emails. If you Log into paypal from there, wave your paypal account goodbye.