Feedback

"Sellers can leave positive feedback, or choose not to leave feedback"

So why don't more sellers choose not to leave feedback?

What would happen if all sellers stopped leaving feedback?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Feedback

Nothing as far as rational members go but some buyers are so silly about their buyer feedback thinking it is of some importance that they will go to extreme lengths, up to and including leaving negs just because they have not received glowing feedback.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Feedback

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

Nothing as far as rational members go but some buyers are so silly about their buyer feedback thinking it is of some importance that they will go to extreme lengths, up to and including leaving negs just because they have not received glowing feedback.

As mentioned elsewhere:

eBay’s policies are intended to:

• Provide equal opportunity to all buyers and sellers

Because sellers have that equal opportunity to leave negative feedback ...

It would be interesting to see what eBay would do if all sellers stopped leaving feedback.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Feedback

@fetzerveeble wrote:

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

As mentioned elsewhere:

eBay’s policies are intended to:

• Provide equal opportunity to all buyers and sellers

Because sellers have that equal opportunity to leave negative feedback ...

It would be interesting to see what eBay would do if all sellers stopped leaving feedback.

Sellers can't leave negatives for buyers, so 100% rating for a buyer counts for nothing more than the total of purchases.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Feedback

As pj says,  buyers are absolutely hell bent on getting feedback, so it is easier to go with them.

For some buyers, feedback is a reassurance that the seller is actually out there, has received their payment, and (presumably)  is going to send their item any minute now.    This is the seller that leaves instant feedback upon payment.

It doesn't take much time really, and if that's what the buyer wants ....

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Feedback

Yes, most ebayers with any familiarity and experience of ebay know that a perfect feedback score for buyers means very little.

In many cases, it hides a multitude of 'sins' because although ebay 'trumpets' the fact that there are protections in place for sellers (ie buyer requirements / preferences) against buyers who have poor trading behaviour, the system does not effectively enough allow sellers to protect themselves against such buyers, AHEAD of transactions with such buyers.

Basically, ebay is keen to allow all manner of buyers to continue to trade and turns a blind eye to much of their errant trading conduct.

With this aim in mind, their policies, for all their protestations, are as non-transparent, as they think they can get away with.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Feedback

as a buyer, it is very dispiriting to make a purchase, pay, and have a deafening silence from the buyer.

At least if the seller is one of those who give feedback on payment - something as simple as "paid promptly", I know the money has been received rather than floating around in the ethernet and presumably the seller is now busily packing.

Even better is a seller who marks the item as posted -  I get an ebay email, so I know my money has been received, and my item is on the way.

Even betterer (lol) is a seller who marks the item as posted and gives a tracking number.   In which case i don't give a stuff about feedback Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Feedback

as a buyer, it is very dispiriting to make a purchase, pay, and have a deafening silence from the buyer.

I presume you mean from the seller! What is dispiriting about a deafening silence? If you pay and your item arrives within a reasonable time why do you need to hear anything from the seller other than a receipt for your payment which is provided by Paypal as soon as you make the payment.

As a buyer what I find annoying is sellers sending me any communication other than the email generated missives that I cannot turn off, if I want a penpal there are other sites I can use. As for the feedback on my buying id I have absolutely no idea how much feedback I have, \i have never tasken any notice. I buy things on ebay not little green dots.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Feedback

I like to leave feedback for buyers. Especially ones who pay immediately. If I put something like that in their feedback, then other sellers who may be scoping them out, can see they are good payers. Also it is a sort of thank you for buying from me.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Feedback

@stampingpaws wrote:

"Sellers can leave positive feedback, or choose not to leave feedback"

So why don't more sellers choose not to leave feedback?

Because most sellers acknowledge and accept the value it has for / to a lot of buyers, even if they place no value in feedback themselves.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply