GTC and watchers

With GTC listings do these keep accumulating watchers indefinately as long as listing runs, or until watchers remove watch?

30 day listings loose them when they are relisted

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

GTC and watchers

@lane-ends wrote:

With GTC listings do these keep accumulating watchers indefinately as long as listing runs, or until watchers remove watch?

In a word, yes. 🙂

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

GTC and watchers

How does that affect search ranking, I know my listings with at least 1 watcher rank higher than those with non. so watchers have an effect. Is it no of watchers per view. can't be total watchers or that would lock GTC llistings at the top

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

GTC and watchers

I don't really know, unfortunately. I've also noticed watched listings get a bit of a boost, but it probably works on some kind of ratio to determine the listings popularity, which would likely involve clicks, watchers, and sales (a bit like the sales to impressions thing, where maybe a "watch" is nearly as good as a sale). 

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

GTC and watchers

the problem I am having with the watch boost is that my listings are starting at the bottem end of search return, so they get no views and hence no watch so they stay there..I can here a new buzz word coming.."schill watchers"

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

GTC and watchers

@lane-ends wrote:

.I can here a new buzz word coming.."schill watchers"

I actually thought that's been happening for a while, similar to unusual (and high) sales activity on BIN items - eBay have a couple of different icons in search results now to indicate relative popularity (either sales or watchers), I'm not really sure how they choose one or the other, but I've noticed some listings don't get an icon even if they've sold more, or have more watchers, than a different listing, and sometimes they'll display the watch count over sales (or vice versa) when the other stat is higher, so it's another one of those great mysteries of Best Match.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

GTC and watchers

@digital*ghost wrote:

@lane-ends wrote:

In a word, yes. 🙂

I actually have some of digi's items from her selling ID on my watch list, and they keep rolling over on my list when the listing ends and is relisted.  Not going to tell digi which ones I am watching as I may well buy one day . . . . and I don't want her to know it is me buying.

I will do it on another ID . . . . but not for 'revenge' reasons as espoused by another poster on another thread . . . . but because I don't want any special treatment like reduced postage etc. 🙂

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

GTC and watchers

@digital*ghost wrote:

@lane-ends wrote:

.I can here a new buzz word coming.."schill watchers"

I actually thought that's been happening for a while, similar to unusual (and high) sales activity on BIN items - eBay have a couple of different icons in search results now to indicate relative popularity (either sales or watchers), I'm not really sure how they choose one or the other, but I've noticed some listings don't get an icon even if they've sold more, or have more watchers, than a different listing, and sometimes they'll display the watch count over sales (or vice versa) when the other stat is higher, so it's another one of those great mysteries of Best Match.

and sometimes they just make fancy stuff up to keep everyone guessing. hard to work out whats worth doing and what isn't, they just keep secretly changing the formula.

i do believe if you just offhand ignore their "recommendations" it can cause isuses, almost like they have a master plan as to how everyones business should look and operate and they are giving a heads up before they start to quitely enforcing compliance, by making things harder for the non compliant.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

GTC and watchers

I add somethings to my watchlist if I find it interesting and have to save and compare for anouther day, or work out what the hell it is...

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

GTC and watchers

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

I will do it on another ID . . . . but not for 'revenge' reasons as espoused by another poster on another thread . . . . but because I don't want any special treatment like reduced postage etc. 🙂

All of my customers get special treatment, so Smiley Tongue

I'm honestly not sure about the effect of ignoring recommendations - that's pretty much all I do. Smiley LOL I still have a 2-day handling time, still charge postage separately, I don't even look at their price / item specifics recommendations, and I don't offer express (I'll use it by request), about the only thing I offer that's recommended is change of mind returns, but even then I only allow 7 days, not 30... but if that's been affecting me adversely, so far it's not overly noticeable (just speaking personally, anyway). 

But, I also should mention that my shop is largely driven by low-priced, multiple quantity listings, with a focus on a couple of areas not many other sellers cater for, even in a saturated market like my categories are, so when someone looks for that type of item, there aren't many pages to browse, plus... I have a few listings that are a couple of years old now, with a strong sales history and a high number of watchers (eg 100+, which is massive for me as a lot of my listings have 0-5) that tend to pop up in more general searches, so I do sort of play eBay's game a bit, as I've tailored it this way on purpose (i.e. a mix of unique things, and multiple-quantity stuff that I try to always keep in stock). 

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply