Goodbye FEEBAY....ANYONE ONE ELSE CLOSING ?

Due to high ridiculous fees plus the new Paypal 180 days claims period, this selling platform

is no longer viable to your average home hobby seller.

I have enjoyed reading the discussion boards for good tips and advice...Thanks to all for your

time and imput to inform others.

I am certain there will be many more to follow.

regards Poppy.

Message 1 of 72
Latest reply
71 REPLIES 71

Sorry to hear that your going, best of luck with whatever you decide to do.Smiley Happy

I think i'll be ok for a while.Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 72
Latest reply

The best thing to come out of these changes might be some buyer confidence in regards to cheap chinese rubbish that breaks down after 2 days of use-at least when it breaks down buyers will not be left high and dry, they will be able to get a refund.  I see many examples of feedback that say "broke after 10 minutes of use-bad seller".

However i can imagine in the future months it will be only these big sellers left on here.

I plan on closing down and i will NEVER EVER buy anything on ebay, and i am actively telling friends to do the same-funny thing is they already generally do not buy anything on here but on amazon.

I wish ebay the best of luck with their new market.  A friend of mine said last night "further down the line you'll be saying to people-I REMEMBER THE GOLDEN AGE OF EBAY"

I just wish ebay could make gumtree like a auction site for second hand items because it's not viable to be giving 180 day refunds on these items, until they do it's off to the the other side for me.

Message 12 of 72
Latest reply

I'm with you Poppy. I go at the end of this month. I am NOT going to allow eBay to make decisions regarding my stock or my money. I cannot afford to wait 180 days before I know the money in my PayPal account is really mine. No business can exist on their terms.

Very sad to be leaving after so many years but eBay has given me no option ๐Ÿ˜ž

Message 13 of 72
Latest reply

Exactly.....There are many more factors in closing, yours is just one of them.

Overall stress in every department, sellers don't need the extra from ebay & Paypal.

regards Poppy.

Time for this long overdue holiday !

Message 14 of 72
Latest reply

I wish you both well with whatever your next venture is. I am staying in the interim as I still have a fair bit of stuff to get rid of, but once that's gone, I'll be gone too. 

I bought all this stuff a few years back with the intention of making jewellery and selling it at the Sunday markets. We all know what can happen with good intentions!! Plus, our local Sunday markets don't exist any more. I keep finding boxes of stuff in the shed that I'd forgotten about, so I really don't know how much I have left! 

I've also been selling off some of my mineral specimens that I have multiples of (to make room to collect more I don't have), but there are other dedicated sites I can sell those on if I don't manage to sell them on here.

I think (hope!) that most of what I'm selling should be pretty safe from buyers wanting to claim 6 months later.....but never say never!

Message 15 of 72
Latest reply

Good Luck!!! I am just going to keep on as normal and see what happens, if I have to leave I will, however I have been looking around and researching other options incase I have to leave. All the best!!!

Message 16 of 72
Latest reply

I dont think people will necessarily be able to get a refund after the cheap junk (as you quite rightly say) breaks as soon as it arrives, because some sellers take peoples money, close up shop then reopen again straight away under another name.........

Message 17 of 72
Latest reply

Thank you for your good wishes Sheeps ๐Ÿ™‚  I have no real plans to go anywhere else at the moment so, like Poppy, I will be having a little break and keeping an eye on eBay, and others, to see what's happening. I don't want to leave eBay as I love selling but I just can't see myself being able to put up with eBay's lunacy. I have so many lovely garments yet to list so will pack them carefully away until I decide to bring them out for sale again.

It has been lovely getting to know you and I thank you again for helping me catergorise my eBay store.

All the best,

Helen  Woman Frustrated

Message 18 of 72
Latest reply

5kazam
Community Member

I've already posted on a couple of threads that I was OUTA HERE!

Like many others I have left with reputation intact, and I've no intention of letting these new eBay/PayPal policies tarnish my good history.  I worked hard to get a good reputation with my buyers - many of whom have come back time after time.  Thank you to them!!

I likewise, wish you, and everyone else who is leaving eBay all the success in selling elsewhere.

Funnily enough, I can just see a post coming up - but you'll all be back, eBay has the biggest market exposure, blah, blah, blah....

...not this time, sunshine, this separation is for ever - and you know what IT FEELS GOOD.  I actually feel FREE...!!!

Message 19 of 72
Latest reply

I know what you mean. As soon as I had made the decision I felt lighter. It was a hard decision for me and not one I took lightly. But, like you, I want to leave with my feedback in tact. I have been on eBay since 2002, not 2004 as eBay have put on here, and have maintained a 100% positive feedback over that time. I am very proud of that.

I have met some great people on eBay, buyers and sellers alike, and it's been so much fun especially when eBay appreciated it's sellers as much as it does it's buyers.

I know some people will say that things change you have to go with flow. Hey, I don't mind the flow as I am a survivor. I am not a whimp nor do I give up easy but I am smart enough to know when I am licked. I see no shame in walking away with my head held high.

I wish everyone all the best on eBay. I hope you all do extremely well and, if and when, sanity returns to eBay then so may I. But until then I refuse to play eBay's rediculous games.

Message 20 of 72
Latest reply