Google not showing ebay listings - Panda ?

I read a mention in another thread that ebay listings have dropped right off of the first few google pages when searching for an item. I thought it couldnt be that bad so had a look myself. Sure enough you need to wade through several pages of non ebay traders before the first of ebays searches start to appear. A couple of months ago, Google changed its search criteria in a new system called Panda ( numbers after it, cant remember them ) . People where theorising that ebay would be seriously affected by the new search engine system. Looks like they where right. This could help explain the recent slow down in sales that many are experiencing and probably wont be fixed anytime soon.    Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

eBay has annoyed not only sellers but google.Views & sales are down not only for the whole eBay google war but due to eBay search engines with the whole cassini bs.if you look at the eBay thingy about listings & searches you might find the answer in-

"...accordingly to drive a positive user experience,a listing may not appear in some search & browse results regardless of the sort order chosen by the user"

In other words,if eBay bots decide that you have enough defects that it may be a bad user experience for the buyer,so your listings may be hidden.I have seen many a post saying that listings & sales are way down than usual.This is why.

I have gone from 95% sale rate to at a guess 30% in 2 months.Coincidence or interference? I don't trust eBay so i say interference.If you have a big brand store you will not face the same results.

Also sales are down as most sellers are buyers,so if they don't make enough sales $ to spend,they cannot/won't buy.This is the 1st month ever that i could not pay fees on time due to eBay blacking out my listings.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

You can limit your search results to just ebay by using the search string: ebay au: <item name>. So it might look something like this in the search box ebay au: hair products That way you will only get results from ebay Australia and only results that are in reference to hair products.

You can do that with anything you want to search for, eBay or not.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Thanks sheep, I wasnt actually trying to buy anything, I was just trying to work out why ebay has been so slow recently. If our listings which used to be in third or fourth spot in google searches are now relegated to page three or four, many buyers are simply not going to find them, buying from other non ebay suppliers further up the search list. I occasionally check where my items come up in google searches and can conform they have dropped way down the lists on the google search pages recently. Some items used to appear right at, or very near the top of the google searches.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

great high margin no fees website sales are ticking over nicely/

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

I searched these random items

Panda toy  buy  - the first listing was ebay au

BBQ buy -  last listing on first page ebay au

My Story - Julia Gillard book buy - a  sponsored* box at top of screen -  with pics of  the book & 5 retailers - names in a row. eBay seller 5th one.

*  Sponsored i pop up box says among other things "Google may be compensated by some of these providers"

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply