Had to Use the MBG for the very First Time as a Buyer

I was looking for a roll of printer labels with a reusable cartridge. Normally they are not reusable.

I found a seller in Melbourne who was advertising this on one of their listings.

Their pics did not clearly show the reusable aspect of the label roll so before I purchased I asked a question to verify that they were indeed reusable.

The seller replied yes they were. So I ordered it. About $3 more expensive than the one that was not reusable.

Took 10-days to arrive from Melbourne using a small box parcel without tracking. hmmm!

When I opened the box I could see straight away it was the exact same label roll as the ones I already have that I bought from a different seller knowing they were not reusable.

So the one I received was not what I thought I would receive.

First I contacted the seller about it via messaging.

They replied saying I did not know how to use it and that I needed to wait for the roll to be empty before it will come apart. Total BS as I have already tried my previous ones and the only way to get them apart is to break them and then they are totally unusable.

I sent pics of the item he sent and the one I already have side by side showing they are identical. Still insisted I did not know how it worked. He sent me a procedure to take it apart and that showed screws to undo. No screws on the one I had received.

So I opened a return request on the grounds that the item was not as described.

The seller then said he would refund me less the postage costs if I sent the item back by trackable means.

I said not on under the MBG rules as the item is not as decsribed you need to pay for the return if you want your item back and then you can refund me in full.

The seller refused to accept that they had sent the wrong item and refused to pay for the return.

So I escalated it to a case after 3-days of to and fro.

Within minutes ebay had closed the case in my favour with a full refund. No mention of returning the item.

I'm happy to return his wrong item if he sends me a prepaid postage label. I said that to him all along.

So how long do I need to hold this one for? 

I can use it (once only) but in reality since I have been refunded I feel it should now be returned.

My first experience with the MBG system. Now I can truly see how simple it would be for a scammer to get items for FREE.

In this case tho I believe they sent an incorrect item but refused to acknowledge they could be wrong. How could the seller reach 41,000+ FB score with this kind of attitude. They do have lots of other NEG for similar reasons too. About 30/40 each month.

Should have looked before I bought, but was blinded by finding what I thought was the right item I had been chasing for a while..

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

raffta1
Community Member

Personally I would send the seller a mesage via ebay stating they have until xxx date (maybe a month) to send the prepaid lable so you can return the item. If they do not then you will have no choice but to keep it. 

You are being honest and are trying to do the right thing by the seller. This way the seller knows the deal and they can make the choice if the want it back. Then on your own heart you know you tried everyitng to do the right thing. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Well in this case, yes the MBG does work.  The seller intended to do nothing to help you.  More or less take it or leave it.
You as the buyer had only one re-course.  In the past, pre MBG, what would have done?  Worn the loss, just left a negative, but were out of pocket.

But most sellers I believe, would go out of their way to help you.  I know I would have.  

So the question is, how often does this happen .... unhelpful, dishonest sellers.  
Perhaps more than we realise, hence the MBG was introduced.

They just need to give it more thought.  Surely they can see a seller's past performance, and take that into account.

I've had one case marked against me.  An international sale to Israel.  The buyer opened the case at 3 weeks.  Obviously ebay's 

postage estimates were out.  The item was delayed in Customs.  The case closed in the buyer's favour, and I get a defect, as well as

being out of pocket.  But if at 6 weeks, it still hadn't arrived, I would have refunded ..... I didn't need ebay to intervene.

The system I believe is a good idea ...... just not enough thought put into it.  

I wonder how much consultation was held with sellers as they were drawing up the guidelines for it?

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

The seller in this case sounds unhelpful and arrogant and probably just wears a few of these things as shrinkage. You may have to consider leaving honest feedback, you had to FORCE this seller to get some level of service....its not good enough really is it?

Message 13 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

well this is the part that is very wrong about the whole MBG. Ebay have refunded you, you now get to keep the item and your refund.

Just to clarify I'm not having a go at you Clarry........just the unfair process

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

raffta1
Community Member

Personally I would send the seller a mesage via ebay stating they have until xxx date (maybe a month) to send the prepaid lable so you can return the item. If they do not then you will have no choice but to keep it. 

You are being honest and are trying to do the right thing by the seller. This way the seller knows the deal and they can make the choice if the want it back. Then on your own heart you know you tried everyitng to do the right thing. 

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Yes I agree it's very unfair.

I really do feel like I should be returning the item as I have been awarded a refund.

But in this case the seller sent the wrong item, so I don't feel I should pay for the return postage.

So far we (as sellers) have not had a return case raised against us.

But if we made an error we would just wish to send the buyer a replacement correct item. End of story.

And because our items average about $10 selling price (less than that cost to us) its not worth our while to pay the return postage so we would just tell the buyer to keep the wrong one.

I did ask this seller to simply send out the correct item too. And that was before I opened the return request.

I even sent a photo of the item he sent me.

But he kept on refusing, insisting that it was my fault as I didn't know how to use it. But I do as we have been using the same label rolls for a few years now.

And I also did another thing I'm not feeling really proud of either. I left my first ever NEG for a seller and that included a 1-star for item as described. I feel bad about doing that now.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Thanks raffta...

Yes I will do just that.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Well in this case, yes the MBG does work.  The seller intended to do nothing to help you.  More or less take it or leave it.
You as the buyer had only one re-course.  In the past, pre MBG, what would have done?  Worn the loss, just left a negative, but were out of pocket.

But most sellers I believe, would go out of their way to help you.  I know I would have.  

So the question is, how often does this happen .... unhelpful, dishonest sellers.  
Perhaps more than we realise, hence the MBG was introduced.

They just need to give it more thought.  Surely they can see a seller's past performance, and take that into account.

I've had one case marked against me.  An international sale to Israel.  The buyer opened the case at 3 weeks.  Obviously ebay's 

postage estimates were out.  The item was delayed in Customs.  The case closed in the buyer's favour, and I get a defect, as well as

being out of pocket.  But if at 6 weeks, it still hadn't arrived, I would have refunded ..... I didn't need ebay to intervene.

The system I believe is a good idea ...... just not enough thought put into it.  

I wonder how much consultation was held with sellers as they were drawing up the guidelines for it?

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

I have no idea how the label things that your talking about work, so I am not going to commment on the actual validity of your claim. But ebays policy states something along the lines of that sellers will accept ebays decision with the MBG, it is final sort of thing.

I am going from memory when I first heard about it .

It would seem that ebay are not "deciding" but a computer is, in direct violation of their own policy. What do they class as a decision? To make a decision you take everything available into account, which I doubt their computers do. Unless of course someone sets up one of those bird things with the water to priss the ENTER button all day.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

If you kept the original packaging which I would have in this instance, just package it up with a note and drop it back in the post.  Mark it not at this address.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

He wont bother sending you a return post label/package because it probably cost more than thes cost him. In the scheme of doing business if there is a margin in doing so it will be so small as to not be worth the hassle.

Probably didn't send you a different oine as that is probably the only style he has and doesn't realize its not reusable.

You are correct though, if you had been wrong and he had been right you can still force a refund. Still would not have been worth his while to have it sent back to check, as you win a he said/she said

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

@sparrow2207 wrote:

If you kept the original packaging which I would have in this instance, just package it up with a note and drop it back in the post.  Mark it not at this address.

Our postal laws are quite explicit - return to sender articles are only acceptable if they are unopened.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply