Has anyone used the promotions manager in their store?

I have today for the first time used the promotions manager in my store to see if this has any impact on sales. 

Just wondering what fellow ebayers have thought of the promotion when using it. 

Cheers

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi all - I take my previous comment back and have found success with the Promotions Manager. The result is 2 large sales of my more expensive items - $1,000 in sales is not to be sneezed at with the way things are at the moment. 

Would use again perhaps on my slower moving items although each sale was of the same range of goods. 

If I did not have the promotions manager they may have requested a discount for multiple purchases and I would have given the same discount or if not a little more. The promotions manager appeared to stop the buyer requesting further reductions. 

Cheers

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

IMHO the overall traffic volumes are way down on ebay compared to what they once were. Especially this time of year. And given the political and economic climates here and around the world at the present time.

So I don't think it will make a whole lot of difference what kind of promotion you use, if there are no buyers there will be no sales.

We tried running a 15% discount sale a while back but got no observable additional sales.

But I also think it can be quite category dependent too. So what works in one area may not in another.

Good luck with it tho and would be interested to know your results.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

I haven't used one for a while, but I've tried a couple and had the most success with the 'spend X amount, get X percentage off the total' promo, but I've also tried the buy one get one free with almost no one taking that up.

I think you'll find that promotions aren't really conducive to increasing sales volume, but more for increasing spendage from the people who do buy (most of them are designed around giving the buyer bonuses or discounts if they spend more, or in the case of BOGOF, buy more). That can act as an incentive to get people to buy, but no one sees the deals unless they're already looking at items with the promo, so it's almost impossible to increase traffic with them (even when you do a straight discount off the item price, this isn't indicated in search results, people don't know the listed price is discounted, so there's no immediate sense of "I can get it cheaper if I buy it before the promo ends"). If you have a social media presence, you can advertise the promo and increase awareness or interest that way. 

I personally believe the reason it was successfull is because it was in line with how people buy from me already - i.e. I sell the kind of stuff that people tend to make orders with multiple items, giving them a discount when they reached a certain spend acted more like a deal-sweetener than a deal maker, but was quite popular all 3 times I used it (actually, every time I ran a new one, the total qualifying spend increased by about 20%). 

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

I have a permanent 10% discount for $20 or over.

It automatically makes my over $20 items 10% cheaper, but I don't have a lot of them.

I probably get one multiple buy (presumably to take advantage of the discount) per month. So not huge but seems to result in SOME sales.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Yes I use promotions manager and markdown manager.

Anything that may draw extra interest from buyers is worth it I think.  Its part of retailing and consumer culture - off and online.

I think promotion sell-through rate depends on soooo many factors not the least being the type of goods you sell, the value of those goods, their availability generally and the level of discount you offer.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Markdown Manager works but not Promotions Manager. Another way to drive sales through discounts is to monitor your watched items. If you get a few watchers, revise the price lower. This then triggers an email from eBay to the watchers telling them your item price has reduced.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

An update on the Promotions Manager - absolutely nothing and I do not think any more traffic through my listinds - I even used Markdown Manager as well on 30% of my listings still no more sales - Think with what has happened in the UK - School Holidays and the election have halted a lot of sales - just have to sit it out and hope it improves!!!`

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Hi all - I take my previous comment back and have found success with the Promotions Manager. The result is 2 large sales of my more expensive items - $1,000 in sales is not to be sneezed at with the way things are at the moment. 

Would use again perhaps on my slower moving items although each sale was of the same range of goods. 

If I did not have the promotions manager they may have requested a discount for multiple purchases and I would have given the same discount or if not a little more. The promotions manager appeared to stop the buyer requesting further reductions. 

Cheers

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply