Has my PayPal been hacked?

Couldn't acess my PayPal account.

Kept saying I've been randomly chosen for a security check. 

Asked me to confirm details and creat a new password which I did and I still can't access my account. Keeps asking me to confirm passwords.

Have I just allowed myself to be hacked? Smiley Mad

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

This what I get:

Create new password

Please create a new password for your account

PayPal recommends creating a password that doesn't contain personal information. We suggest using at least eight characters and combining upper-case and lower-case letters, numbers and symbols.

New password: 

Re-enter new password: 

You must also select security questions for your account. Your answers will be used to confirm your identity if you forget your password in the future.

Security question 1: -- select a question --What's the name of your first school?What's the name of your first pet?What's the name of the hospital in which you were born?What's the name of your favourite childhood cuddly toy?Where did you travel on your honeymoon?

Answer: 

Security question 2: -- select a question --What's the name of your first school?What's the name of your first pet?What's the name of the hospital in which you were born?What's the name of your favourite childhood cuddly toy?Where did you travel on your honeymoon?

Answer: 

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

If you're not sure ring Paypal and find out if it was a genuine email. If it wasn't then you need to run all your virus and malware programs then change all your passwords that you use on-line.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

I have no idea, but sense your anxiety.  Could you ring paypal and ask ?  I would not be doing anything until I could verify the authenticity if I were you.  If for no other reason a couple of those questions sound a bit sus (the hospital & the honeymoon ones)

Aaah, slow typing again !! padi beat me to it Smiley LOL

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Yes mb, it sounds a bit suss to me as well, I've never heard of Paypal doing "random security checks" before, hopefully all's ok but with the OP not being able to access the account now it's ringing warning bells to me.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

Getting a recorded message from PayPal saying they operate 6am-10pm Mon-Sat.

I guess today being a public holiday doesn't count.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Never ever click on links in email no matter how genuine they may appear. The link will take you to a phishing site where they will encourage you to give away passwords etc under the guise of resetting access to your account. All you have really done is give them your login details.
So make sure your computer is cleaned using good virus software and malware protection first. Then try changing your passwords. If you can't log in it may be because the hackers have already taken control. If this is the case get on the phone very quickly to PayPal to have the account locked down and reset.
Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Was the number below the one you used, if not then it looks like they are available tomorrow as well on this number.

This is the link to that page.......................

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/helpcenter/selfhelp/home/

Capture.PNG

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

It wasn't an email I replied to or even opened.

I was on eBay and clicked onto VIEW PAYPAL TRANSACTION as I've done a thousnad times before and that was the screen that appeared. 😞

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

@sydney-diecast-kingdom wrote:

It wasn't an email I replied to or even opened.

I was on eBay and clicked onto VIEW PAYPAL TRANSACTION as I've done a thousnad times before and that was the screen that appeared. 😞

Then you should be safe in that case, I have noticed recently that if I go into Paypal via a different browser it'll ask me to put in my password twice before entering my security code to continue.

I would still tend to give Paypal a call tomorrow and find out from them why you can no longer log in, if that is still a problem.

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply