Heads up - USPS tracking for UC*********au parcels no longer working

I have discovered that USPS is not providing tracking info in-country for Australia Post parcels without specific tracking purchased anymore.

Shame... it was always a nice bit of insurance against INR claims for sales to the US.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Dang it, that was handy as it worked on all economy parcels and large letters. Seemed like it only lasted for a really short while, too, as it was really only a few months where I'd always be able to get results while before that maybe 10% of the time they'd show something. 

Back to crossed fingers, I guess (I get lodgement receipts for untracked stuff via the self-service terminals, but that only goes so far and wouldn't help in an eBay case). 

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Aust Post told me a few months ago that items sent using the little green form starting with UC........ was the customs number and not an official tracking number. We found that sometimes it was used by USPS to show tracking and sometimes not, so probably still worth double checking on their site, but not so hopeful any more. We (seller and buyer) pay enough for post you would think that scanning parcels/letters as they travel wouldn't be so hard and might get rid of some hassles for all parties, even just on the final delivery step at least. But of course all parties are chasing extra $'s and forcing users to pay for tracking service. Pity that we might have lost this step.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

It may be a random thing - I can see a parcel I sent to USA on 4/10 with no tracking  - it picks up the tracking at Los Angeles and then follows it until showing delivered on 13/10 - but others simply say "no tracking available".

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Yep is is hit and miss.  About 70% of my large letters or parcels get scanned and tracked in the USA via the UC number - no changes noticed recently.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Anyone had any luck with USPS over the past few weeks?  I've been able to get nothing at all with many UC numbers.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

The only parcels I've received lately from the US with tracking begin with LZ.  These are E-DELCON parcels and they all have labels printed by the seller and I guess lodged with USPS online. 

Parcels I've received from sellers who I'm guessing have lodged them over the counter - as the address etc is all handwritten - never seem to have tracking.  I can't tell by the postage costs as some sellers factor in packaging, going to the post office and goodness knows what else....and others don't. 

Sometimes it's a bit of a lottery on what kind of service Oz buyers get.  There are still US sellers out there who have never heard of E-DELCON and insist there's no such thing as tracking for USPS 1st Class International.  There is....but it all depends on what USPS service the seller uses.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

As per previous replies from posters the UC number is very hit and miss, officially it is not a tracking number in the US.

This number is the Australian Customs reference number, and not used (officially) for tracking. 

But, you might be lucky,it appears that USPS does track sometimes and sometimes not. Go figure.

If you want official tracking you will have to take your post up to the next level.

It's a shame as this was a great service but now of course AP want their pound of flesh. 

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

I just checked my seller dashboard for USA sales and it states 86% of my sales to USA (19 out of 22) had tracking successfully uploaded. So UC numbers still working for me for the majority of my sales to USA

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Same for me. Its working AOK on my end.

Dont Change your Price , Change your Customer
Message 10 of 11
Latest reply