Here is why you should never accept PayPal for pick up items

Heres an interesting thread on Whirlpool about a seller that got defauded of $1900...

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2550554

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

I'm pretty sure that you have to accept PayPal for pick-up items..

Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

PayPal needs to be offered for pick up items but a seller can state Cash on pick up is preferred.

I will issue a refund in PayPal and ask the buyer to pay cash suggesting it is safer for the buyer to see the item first.

If someone does pay PayPal for a pick up item (Incidentally there is now seller protection on this) always ask them to bring photo ID when picking it up and make a note of the car rego number.

Should they do a chargeback, you can submit the proof it was the account holder picking it up.

image host
Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

Sorry justajunk but thats wrong.

Too many people do not know that you must never accept PayPal for pick up items and that is how people like this $1900 victim get caught out.

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

Hi Kopen, Unfotunately your last line is wrong also.

Unfortunately PayPal will never accept photos or car rego numbers etc. Only approved tracking numbers are accepted as per PP`s T`s and C`s.

If you read the article on WP you will see the seller had CCTV footage but it was useless to PP.

Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

That may be so, but if the buyer initiates a chargeback for an unauthorised transaction, it's proof enough for the bank to see they are pulling a swifty.

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

Oh, i think the keyword here might be chargeback?   If so then it is referring to Credit Card only, not PayPal?

Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

Three letters - FOS

Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

@bjmonty28 wrote:

Heres an interesting thread on Whirlpool about a seller that got defauded of $1900...

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2550554

From the sounds of the OP, that wasn't a pick-up item, it was to be posted but once paid, pick-up arrangements were made. That means the order details and PayPal invoice would have shown it was a posted item and by picking up instead, the scammer ensured that the seller would not be able to provide valid proof of shipping (I'm disappointed for the seller, but not surprised the CCTV footage wasn't accepted, since it probably wouldn't have been possible for PayPal to identify the person who collected the item was the buyer).

Hindsight is 20/20, and I hope if anyone in the future receives a similar pick-up request on a postage item, they refuse, or cancel the original order and issue an invoice that reflects the item is going to be picked up.

I'm a little dubious about the police claim re: the defence lawyer's strategy. PayPal have suffered no loss, since the seller funded the refund, so I find it hard to understand how a lawyer could argue that it was PayPal who were defrauded. (Not a lawyer, as most here know, though). 

Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

A chargeback can be done using PayPal funded with a credit card.

image host
Message 10 of 28
Latest reply