High bidder sought delay in payment and now wants discount.

ann0435
Community Member
I agreed to wait a few days for payment but now getting a bad feeling about this guy. Should I cancel transaction or go to resolution? There was a second bidder whom this guy beat by $5
Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I sometimes get requests from buyers for delayed payment, particularly with auctions. It usually results from buyers who want an item, but need to wait for their next wage or government payment to come in, often around a Thursday. In probably 80 % of cases, they pay for the item when agreed without any further dramas and usually leave glowing feedback.

With the other 20 % you usually don't hear anything from them again and I open and close "Payment not received cases". Once this process is completed you can offer the runner up bidder a second chance offer, but usually by then, they have got cold feet and the whole transaction falls through. It is disappointing when you have had a successful auction with multiple bidders, but unfortunately just part of doing business on ebay.

It may be worth contacting the buyer to ask if they prefer to cancel the transaction or wether they just need a few extra days to pay.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

When we get a customer like this we just reply to their requests, either yes or no or whatever you want to do, then if no $'s received after 8 days, start the procedure via Eb of non-payment.

Don't get sucked into lots of discussions, just be professional and let them know what you can or can't accept and then wait. If they come back with more suggestions or queries answer politely as possible and don't wobble from your original postition.

At the end of 8 days if not paid start the "Item not paid for" function, or hopefully by then they will have paid. 

If the buyer renigs on the sale, then, when all over you could contact the other buyer and let them know that the item has been relisted if they might still be interested. Just stay cool, and strong and usually can deal with most situations. Good luck. 

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Being proactive and asking for extra time to pay seems like the buyer is reasonable, but I'd be really concerned now that they are asking for a discount, especially since it was auction.

Wait the agreed time for payment, and then lodge an unpaid item. I wouldn't give in to a discount just to get the sale.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Delayed payment is not uncommon, at least he asked and didn't just notify you he would be paying in a week.

The discount is another thing, though.  I would just reply that he won the auction at X$ and that is what he needs to pay.  If he isn't happy with that, just explain that there were other bidders so if payment is not received by the agreed date, you will have to follow SOP and sell to the next bidder.. 

Cheers,

Penny
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

The only time I might consider it is if there is room for negotiation on postage.     I know that most of your items are free postage, but just for example if it was the perfume 100ml,  it could probably be sent as a 500g parcel for $7.45?

If a buyer approaches me and says maybe you didn't know how to post this cheaper, I would negotiate.   It is not a good idea to profit from postage.

Otherwise, definitely not.   He bid, he won, he pays.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

i have given up on negotiating payments.

my motto is, you bid, you buy, you pay.

ebay gives the buyer 4 days to pay, then the auto item unpaid process kicks in.

the buyer then gets another 4 days to pay.

if buyer can't pay in 8 days they shouldnt have pressed bid/buy.

end of story.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

ann0435
Community Member

Thank you for the suggestions. I have said no discount and he is ok with that. Hopefully he will pay otherwise I will open a dispute as suggested. Thanks again.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply