High lost rates on Large Letters

Hi Guys

I use australia post large letter to send most of my items, but I found out there are about 2~3 letters lost in 100 items. As it's not trackable, I can not tell if the buyer lied.

I print out all the addresses, and matching the postcode and suburb, using stamps to show the postage, drop the letters in the red street box. 

For those claimed not received buyers, I confirm the address with them and double check with google maps, so all those addresses are valid.  All claims made  at least 2 weeks  after posted. I have not received any undelivered letter .

I am still new to ebay, I have no idea if this 2~3% lost rates reasonable or not.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I have been getting about 1/400 "lost" which I find quite remarkable. When I first started it was quite a bit higher for some reason.

Also I have been buying stamps on ebay at about 75% face value to "self insure". I also register items at my own cost if I feel the need and hand my mail over the counter, if that makes any difference I don't know.

For lost items I originally offered a resend or refund but now I just do a resend (I only ever had one person want a refund in all my time on ebay), confirming the address details with the customer, and then sometimes block them if I think something is up.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

I have also stuffed up the address and had items returned at a rate of about 1/2500

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

I haven't had any lost over 10 years of selling on and off. I am not a high volume seller though.

Today I used a prepaid registered post (A4 size) large envelope, costing $6.20  to send an item that was worth nearly $50. I wouldn't want that lost in the post. The cost covers tracking number, signature on delivery & compensation for any loss or damage up to $100.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Most of our items also go out by large letter. Also from our local red street box like you.

We get around 1 in 400 or so reported not received by the buyer. Thats about 0.25%. So your loss rate seems high.

We never get returned mail either.

So we just ask them to validate the address we got from PayPal.

Also check at their local PO in case they are holding it. We have had this happen a few times.

Other than that you really have little choice but to send out a replacement (or refund as the case may be) since we choose to use no tracking.

We just put a small factor into our sale price to cover losses and just try to not get angry at those who you suspect are scamming. If you do it will inevitably earn you a red dot. So better to bite your lip, resend and move on. We usually block them if we have a strong suspicion they are scamming.

We also add a follow up comment to the feedback we left for them like this.

<UID>: Replacement sent for item reported lost in post <date>.

We put the UserID there so other sellers can see who they are. And they can also see if they are repeat offenders. If all sellers do this they will be out-ed soon enough.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

I rarly loose any, and always have my return address on the back. If they are lost, I have put the wrong address on, be careful with the address that comes with the email that says you sold an item.  they are not always right. Paypal or check the invoice you have sent.

I got a nice surprise this week, I sold $15 worth of crafts, but they didn't turn up, so resent them. Got a christmas card today with the payment for the second lot, they arrived 2 weeks after I sold the first lot, thats 4 weeks , gone on holidays again.

I only use bubble bags, cardboard tough bags and mailing boxes, all bought here on ebay, as far cheaper than AP.

And if it's too big

, I warn the customer to look out for them, as they may not fit into their letter box.

I don't trust item's sent just in an plain envelope unless it is wrapped in cardboard first,

I also had another envelope returned, sent it to her next door neighbour, but it took 2 months and 3 weeks to get back to me.

You can normally tell by the feedback they leave if you are being fleeced.  

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

I copy paste print  addresses from Paypal. I found  sometimes buyers addresses in paypal and ebay do not match   if you do not check  it may be you have to sent the item twice and get defect from ebay!

If your lost  items are less than 3% you should be happy! For few months my lost items were higher!

Do not worry,  as ebay sellers, sooner or later  we will become billionairs !

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

I got a cheque in the mail about a year ago when someones order turned up and I sent a second lot, it was for $10 and I never cashed it. Do cheques have an expiry date?

Also I forgot to say before I only use the number 1 size bubble mailers now (160x230mm), originally I used the smaller ones, which seemed to go missing more often.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Dylan, Cheques are valid for exactly 1 year. I use padded envelopes bought in bulk from the PO (less than half price). Always use the address on EBay's Order and always put my address on the back. Australian items cost $1.40 and I use stamps and post at red post box in the street or outside my Post Office. International items cost $2.75 and always have a customs form attached and lodged over the counter.

So far only one has not been received - massive storms and floods in Southern England last winter. None have been returned to me.

Best wishes

Robert

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Most of my items are large letter, just with 2 stamps and into the red box. I use the 00 size, 180 x 100mm padded bags, which I bought in bulk off here (200 for $25 including postage). I've never had one go missing (touch wood!!). I've got 2 padded bags left, so have posted 198. I had posted some before getting that bulk lot though.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply