How Does a Buyer with sooo many non-payments get past our blocks

Over the past couple of weeks we have had this buyer bidding on lots of our items.

Asked us to hold over the ones she had already won so we could send an invoice for combined postage, which we did.

Total order value ended up close to $100. Significant for us.

After we sent the invoice we heard nothing for 3-days, so I sent a gentle reminder message.

Then we got a reply back about how I am a struggling single mum and can't afford to pay, not sure when I can.... blah blah

So that prompted me to take a look at her FB. She has a score of over 250 and during the past 12-months it is littered with false positives from other sellers about not paying and all the various stories about why she can't. Same kinda story we are getting now.

So I figured we were in for a non-payer and opened up a UID case against her. After 3-days now nothing more has been heard.

She outbid quite a few other bidders to whom we sent 2nd chance offers (we have multiple items) too but they never took up the offers. So we have potentially missed those sales as well due to her bidding.

With all these various buyers complaining about her not paying she must have had more than the 2 non-payments in 12-months we have set up but has still managed somehow to bid on our stuff. I can't imagine all those sellers never raised and closed cases against her. How else can they get back their fees? There must be lots of sellers out there who dont know about the UID case??? And just lose their fees.

So now we will be adding her to out BBL's of course. Wish I could post her ID on here for others but of course I cannot.

To cap it off she has one NEG FB which mentions no/slow communication and issue not resolved. So she has at least tried selling too.

And of course ebay will do nothing about such rogue buyers so not much point in reporting her to them.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

It is possible for buyers to appeal unpaid item strikes and get them removed. From what I have heard, it's pretty easy too.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

You've done the right thing to open an unpaid items dispute. Make sure you carry through with it.

Maybe she never was issued strikes by ebay, some other people have suggested the blocks don't seem to be working. maybe she had some removed as someone suggested, although she sounds a bit lazy to bother.

But it is also possible the people who put negative comments in positive feedback were venting and didn't know how to get their fees back or could not be bothered going through the process.

I have a daughter who has been on ebay for years, but only as an occasional buyer. She then went to sell a couple of things and struck what you did- a non payer. She had not a clue what to do till I told her. It was only a small sale and she was almost ready to just shrug it off because the ebay fees didn't amount to much, but I explained it was the principal of the thing-she should not be lazy, she should get a refund of fees and the bidder deserved a strike.

But it did make me wonder just how many small time sellers do just shrug it off as too much effort when we are talking of ebay fees that are under a dollar. Especially if they are not familiar with the process and it would involve reading instructions.

Giving feedback is quick and easy.

The thing though that is striking me about your bidder is she didn't keep it to something small, where there was more likelihood a seller would just forget it, she let it get up to close to $100 and most sellers wouldn't want to be out of pocket for those fees. I suspect she really wanted them, but she must have known she probably could not afford to pay. A serial pest by the sounds of it.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

springyzone said

" But it did make me wonder just how many small time sellers do just shrug it off as too much effort when we are talking of ebay fees that are under a dollar. Especially if they are not familiar with the process and it would involve reading instructions.

Giving feedback is quick and easy."

Exactly, and this is why eBay are happy for these serial pests, or whatever you want to call them, to continue doing this.  All those little amounts add up to quite substantial sums.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Make sure you open a case for every item she hasn't paid for to ensure she gets 'strikes' against her.  That's more important that pos/negative feedback.    That way, people who have their buyers requirement set, don't get bothered by these people.

Also, have you set your site preferences to stop people like her bidding ?   If you haven't, just go into Account, then Site Preferences, then Buyer Requirements.   Then you can chose who buys from you.    eg, people with 1 or 2 strikes, or whatever you require.

Just ignore me if you know all of this.   Woman Happy

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

As it is at the moment it is a combined invoice. There are 10x items on the invoice.

I have opened the case against the combined item list on my awaiting payment list.

But it shows as an ebay note about the unpaid item against each individual item on the list tho.

So I'm unsure when I close it if it will issue her 10x strikes or just the one.

I hope its 10x.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

I think you can uncombine the invoice, but that may be too late now.  Sorry I wrote this b efore I saw your last post.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

@beautbots01 wrote:

springyzone said

" But it did make me wonder just how many small time sellers do just shrug it off as too much effort when we are talking of ebay fees that are under a dollar. Especially if they are not familiar with the process and it would involve reading instructions.

Giving feedback is quick and easy."

Exactly, and this is why eBay are happy for these serial pests, or whatever you want to call them, to continue doing this.  All those little amounts add up to quite substantial sums.

It could also be that relatively new sellers may assume (sadly - incorrectly) that if an item isn't paid for then eBay should not really be entitled to any fees & thus assume they would not be charged and may not check their invoices to see otherwise  Smiley Surprised

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Maybe I missed it - but is it possible to give us a clue ?

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Well I can't do that. I have it on good authority that there is a new mod reviewing posts and if any such posts are seen giving coded clues as to the identity of IDs then a 7-day enforced vacation is issued.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply